SWG Recommendation - Brand Specific

Are there any brands to stay away from? I've read that I should oversize the generator from 1.5 to 4.0 times the rated capacity. I’m planning a 15,000 gallon pool for my SW Florida home.

One pool builder is pushing Jandy but I seem to recall that this brand had some issues. They also have Hayward.

Thanks for the help.

All SWG brands have some issues on the whole, but not all SWG's will have those problems.

Get a SWG rated for 40,000 gallons for that size of pool.

Hayward is probably the most used brand, mid-range cost, and is the brand I just switched to. The most common problem with the Hayward's is the current limiter and I can easily fix that if required when the warranty expires. I had the Jandy Aquapure and I was not satisfied with the performance.

AutoPilot is highly regarded but is on the higher end of the price range.

CompuPool has had their issues and have been redesigned and are at the lower end of the price range which make them tempting, but I went with one that has been proven for quite some time.

I vote for Hayward. Built our pool in 2007 with an Aqua Plus unit and T-15 cell. SWG cell is still working, although it is looking like I will need to replace the cell soon. Most of the time I run the unit at 20~30% with an eight hour pump run. With proper chemical balance and a clean pool I use about 2 ppm chlorine daily to maintain between 6 to 7 ppm FC.

One thing to consider is how much a cell replacement costs. Eventually although we dread the day of shelling out dollars, the cell will fail.
So, just something to take into consideration when deciding on what you want.

Built my pool in late 2008 with the Pentair Intellichlor IC40. The first one failed In early 2010. Salt reading were all over the map. It was replaced under warranty. The second one just died last month. So it lasted what, a little over 5 years?? Not to bad I guess. Bought a new one on Amazon for $495.51. Free shipping. Do I recommend it? Well given the first cell failed within a little over two years, I would have to say that right now I'm neutral as to recommending it.

Hayward.

My Hayward/Goldline with the T-15 (40k rated) cell lasted over seven years before I needed to replace the cell. Cost of a new one on Amazon was $398. So my cost for chlorine in a 19k pool, that is open year-round (with summers ove 100 degrees) averages $57 per year. I did have the input resistor fail after nine years of use, but a $2.50 part and a bit of time with a soldering iron set that right.

If the system blew up tomorrow I would buy another just like it.

In my opinion, if this is your first pool I'd pay the extra money and go with Hayward. When I had one it seem to be more trouble free and less maintenance prone than the one I'm using now (Circupool SI30+)

My SI (saturation index) on mine says to stay within -.2 and + .2. Good luck with that. You really have to be on top of things to stay in that close.

After you've had a Hayward for a few years and it dies, then use your experience to decide which is the best option for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hayward is probably the most used brand, mid-range cost, and is the brand I just switched to. The most common problem with the Hayward's is the current limiter and I can easily fix that if required when the warranty expires.
CompuPool has had their issues and have been redesigned and are at the lower end of the price range which make them tempting, but I went with one that has been proven for quite some time.

I am considering a SWG. Is Hayward still the recommended unit? Please explain what the current limiter issue is and how to fix. Any updates on what other unit is now recommended since this thread was started? Thanks.

I am considering a SWG. Is Hayward still the recommended unit? Please explain what the current limiter issue is and how to fix. Any updates on what other unit is now recommended since this thread was started? Thanks.

Hayward is still a highly rated SWG. YouTube has videos on how to fix the current limiter issue. If you have basic soldering skills and for less than $10 you can fix this issue if it ever pops up.

The Jandy Aquapure has a new flow sensor design that seems to have fix their issues. If you choose a Jandy SWG make sure it comes with the latest sensor which has control box inline on the sensor cable.

I would definitely avoid anything from Circupool. As many others have said, you will have problems over time and their customer service/warranty service is so terrible that you really don't have a warranty. I'm going on 6 months with a failed Circupool unit with no resolution in sight.

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and install a Hayward before next summer and will just have to write off the ~$900 I spent on the Circupool system.

Thank you for the quick replies. I will definitely stay away from the Circupool. What percent of the Haywards have this problem? Is it just a small percent or most of them? I did look at the YouTube videos it looks easy to repair. I guess you get a error code that's how you know? My pool is probably around 18000 to 20,000 gallons, I have not quite figured that out yet. (It is a new to me home) I will be replastering it in about a month, then will make the conversion to saltwater. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Thanks again for the replies, very very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the quick replies. I will definitely stay away from the Circupool. What percent of the Haywards have this problem? Is it just a small percent or most of them? I did look at the YouTube videos it looks easy to repair. I guess you get a error code that's how you know? My pool is probably around 18000 to 20,000 gallons, I have not quite figured that out yet. (It is a new to me home) I will be replastering it in about a month, then will make the conversion to saltwater. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Thanks again for the replies, very very helpful.

The Hayward is the most popular brand of SWG in the USA and parts are available just about everywhere. I have no clue on the percentage of units that have the current limiter go bad. If you buy a Hayward make sure you buy it from a place that has a 3 year warranty and you will not have to do any repair yourself for 3 years.

The Pentair SWG's have had good performance ratings but there are two cons with their system. The replacement cost is higher due to all the electronics being incorporated into the cell. The other con is that the output % is controlled in 20% increments unless you have automation.

If you have a VS or 2-speed pump then the Hayward or AutoPilot SWG's are ideal because they work on about 15 GPM of flow. The other SWG's require a bit higher flow and may or may not work with the pump speed you want to run the pool at.

Thank you very much. So if I buy a Hayward off the Internet at a better price, I wonder if local repair would be authorized to work on it? If it's not a lot of difference I would just as soon buy it local. I don't mind paying a little more, but I hate paying a lot more. Another question, if I do have a 20,000 gallon pool what size of unit should I be looking at? I I am guessing when I buy the cell it comes with its control panel? I appreciate the help here.

I like many others have had that part fail. But it was after 10 years of use. 20 min with a soldering iron and $2.50 part to get it working again. The only reason you hear about this is its about the only problem Hayward units have. Well, that and that it's an easy DIY fix. Most other brands have several failure points and can't be fixed so quickly and easily, so they just get replaced. Having used one for more than a decade, I won't buy anything else.

You can buy the control box with or without the T-15 cell. To make sure you getting the 40k rated cell (T-15) and control box together it should be model AQR15. AQR for AquRite and the 15 designates the largest capacity T-15 cell. Online prices are currently in the $850-1100 range. Although when I checked, buying them together or seperate seem to yield about the same prices.

Thank you very much. So if I buy a Hayward off the Internet at a better price, I wonder if local repair would be authorized to work on it? If it's not a lot of difference I would just as soon buy it local. I don't mind paying a little more, but I hate paying a lot more. Another question, if I do have a 20,000 gallon pool what size of unit should I be looking at? I I am guessing when I buy the cell it comes with its control panel? I appreciate the help here.

Go to Hayward's website and look up the Aquarite manual and it will have the warranty listed on page 16. Basically it says if warranty work is required to contact the seller OR your local Hayward authorized service center. They do not have limitations on self installations other than if you hook it up wrong and fry it, you are out of luck.

Like Chiefwej said, get one that has the T-15 cell and control box supplied together. Buying it on the net you should get it for around $900, I'm not sure what your local store sells it for. You will need to register it with Hayward so it will be a smooth process for warranty work if it should ever be required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.