Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice about connecting new pump to DE filter [Above Ground]

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Need advice about connecting new pump to DE filter [Above Ground]

I recently moved into a house that had a Hayward EC-50 with a pump that had a side discharge connected by a union. See pic below:

filters-hayward-perflex-system[1].jpg

The issue i'm facing is that the pump burnt out on me. This the second year I'm going to run the pool. I didn't really investigate, I ended up purchasing a above ground pump the Hayward Pro-Lx 1.5hp pump. See pic below:

PowerFloLX[1].jpg

The issue I'm facing is, my old pump had a side discharge with a union that attached to the bottom of the pump. However the new pump has a center discharge that faces up.

My question/delimma is, what can I use or what kind of union can I get to connect the new pump to the old filter?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice about connecting new pump to DE filter [Above Ground]

I believe the pump housing can be rotated on that model of pump, so that it will line up with the old pump outlet. Then you unscrew the short piece of pipe with union from the old pump and screw it into the new pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need advice about connecting new pump to DE filter [Above Ground]

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I believe the pump housing can be rotated on that model of pump, so that it will line up with the old pump outlet. Then you unscrew the short piece of pipe with union from the old pump and screw it into the new pump.
    AWESOME! I just confirmed this on the site I ordered it on. Apparently someone else had the same issue and posted it on their FAQ. Looks simple enough as removing 4 bolts, turning and refastening. Thanks alot for your response, Jason.