Water Turning Green! Newbie.

May 20, 2015
Royersford, PA
This is a Pristine Blue pool, and I'm already tired of futzing around with it. The pool was only open a month last year after install so this is its first full season. Unfortunately, it has been getting cloudier and greener since Sunday and I'm not getting clear answers from the pool company or PB without them offering to sell more product. I fully intend to get off PB and move forward with the BBB/TFPC method I've been reading about.

My Taylor test kit won't be here until tomorrow, but I have crappy test strip results from last night. The strip showed everything but "stabilizer" was in normal range. Stabilizer was very, very low. My goal is to stop the growth of whatever is going on in my pool - I suspect algae - and move on from there. I attached a couple pictures of my pool from this morning.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 84
Welcome! :wave:

Love the pictures. You're a fast learner. We like pictures.

Cloudy and green are not good. You need to nip it in the bud.

You're working blind, but clearly, if you don't do something quick, it'll get worse, fast. A gallon of bleach now will save probably five or six after you get a test kit.

If you add enough bleach to get FC to 10, that should at least stall things. Don't expect it to stick around long, but it will help. 10 FC is safe even if you have zero CYA, and it's also low enough that it won't mess up the pH test when you do get your kit and can do things properly. This article explains how to use poolmath. I'll give you one freebie. Two 121 oz jugs of plain 8.25% clorox or equivalent store brand bleach will get you to 10. You might as well buy half a dozen now, because with cloudy water, it's a safe bet you'll need to SLAM once you get your test kit.

Thanks so much for the response and the freebie :) I'm on my way to Walmart now! I'll get the bleach you recommended and put two gallons in ASAP. I'll post test results as soon as the kit shows tomorrow.

Should I pickup some borax and baking soda as well or wait until I can use pool calc?

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the response and the freebie :) I'm on my way to Walmart now! I'll get the bleach you recommended and put two gallons in ASAP. I'll post test results as soon as the kit shows tomorrow.

Should I pickup some borax and baking soda as well or wait until I can use pool calc?

Thanks again!
Without a proper test kit, you can't know if you'll need either product. But you might as well find out where they keep it, if your store stocks it.

I added 4 pounds of sodium dichlor yesterday and the pool got much clearer over the course of 4 hours. I'm hoping that is behind me. I've also left the pump running 24/7. Not sure how long to keep that going.

Here are the numbers from K-2006:

FC: 3.0
CC: 0.4
pH: 7.2
TA: 80
CH: 200 (that turned the sample purple - not blue like the guide said. didn't want to waste!)
CYA: <30 (I could see dot with small side full)

The pool looks a tinge cloudy tonight in my opinion. I'll check again in the morning. Please let me know what you think of the numbers and thanks again for all the support!!

I'm just chiming in to say welcome, and that you are in great hands!! I'm right over the bridge in Jersey! My pool started off much worse than yours, it was super dark green and full of leaves and muck. I got my test kit and started my SLAM Saturday and it's looking a lot better already! All thanks to TFP! (And some elbow grease.)

The cloudiness makes a lot of sense then! I've got a lot of dead algae on these hands ;) I'm going to keep the pump running. Does it make sense to keep it running until I'm crystal clear?

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words everybody. Glad to be aboard and more pics are coming!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.