Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Turning Green! Newbie.

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Turning Green! Newbie.

This is a Pristine Blue pool, and I'm already tired of futzing around with it. The pool was only open a month last year after install so this is its first full season. Unfortunately, it has been getting cloudier and greener since Sunday and I'm not getting clear answers from the pool company or PB without them offering to sell more product. I fully intend to get off PB and move forward with the BBB/TFPC method I've been reading about.

My Taylor test kit won't be here until tomorrow, but I have crappy test strip results from last night. The strip showed everything but "stabilizer" was in normal range. Stabilizer was very, very low. My goal is to stop the growth of whatever is going on in my pool - I suspect algae - and move on from there. I attached a couple pictures of my pool from this morning.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks,
    Ernie C.
    16K IG Viking Trinidad Fiberglass Pool | Hayward: Sand Filter, 1.5HP Pump, Heater | Installed July 31, 2014 | K-2006 Test Kit | Well Water!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Turning Green! Newbie.

Welcome!

Love the pictures. You're a fast learner. We like pictures.

Cloudy and green are not good. You need to nip it in the bud.

You're working blind, but clearly, if you don't do something quick, it'll get worse, fast. A gallon of bleach now will save probably five or six after you get a test kit.

If you add enough bleach to get FC to 10, that should at least stall things. Don't expect it to stick around long, but it will help. 10 FC is safe even if you have zero CYA, and it's also low enough that it won't mess up the pH test when you do get your kit and can do things properly. This article explains how to use poolmath. I'll give you one freebie. Two 121 oz jugs of plain 8.25% clorox or equivalent store brand bleach will get you to 10. You might as well buy half a dozen now, because with cloudy water, it's a safe bet you'll need to SLAM once you get your test kit.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much for the response and the freebie I'm on my way to Walmart now! I'll get the bleach you recommended and put two gallons in ASAP. I'll post test results as soon as the kit shows tomorrow.

Should I pickup some borax and baking soda as well or wait until I can use pool calc?

Thanks again!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by nuklehed View Post
    Thanks so much for the response and the freebie I'm on my way to Walmart now! I'll get the bleach you recommended and put two gallons in ASAP. I'll post test results as soon as the kit shows tomorrow.

Should I pickup some borax and baking soda as well or wait until I can use pool calc?

Thanks again!
    Without a proper test kit, you can't know if you'll need either product. But you might as well find out where they keep it, if your store stocks it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on your new test arriving soon!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

I added 4 pounds of sodium dichlor yesterday and the pool got much clearer over the course of 4 hours. I'm hoping that is behind me. I've also left the pump running 24/7. Not sure how long to keep that going.

Here are the numbers from K-2006:

FC: 3.0
    CC: 0.4
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 80
    CH: 200 (that turned the sample purple - not blue like the guide said. didn't want to waste!)
    CYA: <30 (I could see dot with small side full)

The pool looks a tinge cloudy tonight in my opinion. I'll check again in the morning. Please let me know what you think of the numbers and thanks again for all the support!!
    Thanks,
    Ernie C.
    16K IG Viking Trinidad Fiberglass Pool | Hayward: Sand Filter, 1.5HP Pump, Heater | Installed July 31, 2014 | K-2006 Test Kit | Well Water!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm just chiming in to say welcome, and that you are in great hands!! I'm right over the bridge in Jersey! My pool started off much worse than yours, it was super dark green and full of leaves and muck. I got my test kit and started my SLAM Saturday and it's looking a lot better already! All thanks to TFP! (And some elbow grease.)
    10,200gallon vinyl above ground oval pool. Sand filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Green going to cloudy is the normal progression. You're killing algae and what's clouding things is the bleached carcasses of your victims.

9. Back To Top    #9

You'll be happy that you took quick action. Sounds like you saved it before it got bad. We do expect to see after pics once you get it cleared up. Heck, it's a good looking pool even with green water.
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

10. Back To Top    #10

The cloudiness makes a lot of sense then! I've got a lot of dead algae on these hands I'm going to keep the pump running. Does it make sense to keep it running until I'm crystal clear?

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words everybody. Glad to be aboard and more pics are coming!
    Thanks,
    Ernie C.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yup. 24/7

12. Back To Top    #12

+1 on that 24x7. Need to be brushing it too. Here is the full process for SLAMing Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach