Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hi and really need some input!

1. Back To Top    #1

hi and really need some input!

hi, new here.. been lurking a while during our build and really appreciate the expert advice here. We are halfway through our build and are rethinking a few things..we originally signed our contract for exposed agg cantilever coping and decking. I'm not in love with the idea now but our builder is telling us it's $5k to upgrade to natural stone coping. My idea was actually to do a broom finish colored concrete coping and then do and agg deck. he says they can't do that.
    I think they just dont want to.
    We are paying a lot for this pool and I'd hate to not do coping but it's a stretch for another $5k.

high level on the pool details are 710 sqft free form, ~20x41, 3-8', dive rock.

i will be posting our build pics soon but could really use some input now regarding coping.. thanks so much!!
    alicia

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hi and really need some input!

$5k seems high for that. Where are you located?
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. Philly suburbs. I'm thinking about stamped concrete now to get the look of coping.

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you happen to know the footage of the coping required? The linear footage can help in determining cost. Though I don't know how the (freeform pool) curves and the fitting of the stones can impact the cost.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

5. Back To Top    #5

114 ft which puts stone coping around 50/ft.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi gordo-girl,
    the reason your PB told you that you cant do brushed finished coping with exposed aggregate deck is because he is planning on pouring all the concrete at the same time.
    You really cant pour all of the concrete, then finish the coping differently than you can the rest of the exposed aggragate part. It would never work out to anyones satisfaction.

In order to accomplish the 2 different concrete finishes, you would have to have 2 different concrete pours which would drive the price up to the point where stone wouldnt be very much more expensive, (if any).

As for the cost of stone. Not only is the stone itself pricey, but its more labor intensive to make it right than concrete is.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

yes i do understand the concrete would require separate pours. i found out today that the bigger issue was that they use different subs for the aggregate and broom finish, so you are right, it would definitely drive up the cost to use different materials.
    I think the compromise may be stamped concrete so we can sort of get the stone look for the deck and do a different stamp to create a faux coping.
    It's just frustrating that my builder doesnt suggest alternate solutions to these issues, he just tells me how much things cost when i ask.
    thanks all for the input!

8. Back To Top    #8

My pool builder showed me a rose color marble called crema eda rosa. It is 2 1/4 inches thick and you can google it to see the picture. The upgrade was about $4200 from standard coping pavers. But I found what was essentially the same product from a place in Florida and it cost only about $1100 plus shipping of about $600. My PB then gave me a credit of $525 for not having to supply the coping. The company in Florida was stonehardscapes. Maybethey or someone else has something you would like and the PB would only have to install it.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

9. Back To Top    #9

Natural stone is very expensie and gets very hot. So does concrete but it's noticeably cooler than real stone such as blue stone. Instead of blue stone I'm going with Techo Bloc concrete pavers. It's not a LOT cheaper but saves a few bucks. The heat was my main concern with kids who will be walking on the coping. They offer nice stuff, though for pavers etc. I don't think they are on the low cost end. https://www.techo-bloc.com/products/bali-travertina/
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

10. Back To Top    #10

Considering techo bloc for our build as well. Going to check out samples Friday.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

that techno bloc is beautiful

12. Back To Top    #12

Yeah,
    I know what you mean...
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo_girl View Post
    It's just frustrating that my builder doesnt suggest alternate solutions to these issues, he just tells me how much things cost when i ask.
    thanks all for the input!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!