I gave in, and am trying the Bio Active product. I know there are mixed feelings on it, but I wanted to try it, at least one bag before I partial drain the pool (which I will probably have to do it, because my CH is high - but I can't see any side effects for this first year that I have own the house).
I will post results at the end of the 10 days since I don't plan on buying a bunch of bags, unless I see some significant drop in the CYA with the first one.
Here are my test results as of yesterday morning when I dropped the bag in (I actually diluted it in water, and spread on the pool's opposite side of the skimmer.
CYA ~200 **
CYA ~230 **
** I have been using the 50/50 method for testing CYA. This afternoon I will do the 25% pool/75% tap to be more accurate.
As you can see from the results, it seems that I actually gained a little bit of CYA within the 11 hours between the tests.
1. I live in S. Florida, so the water temp is reaching about 88 in the afternoon
2. My water is crystal clear. I have a 0.5/1 HP pump, and I run it on 1 hp (because of my baracuda g3) for about 12 hours a day now (late spring/summer time)
3. My daily (~24 hours) FC loss is about 1ppm (0.5 overnight as per my last test)
In addition to all of this, I have a few questions:
1. Is it safe to swim while the product is in the water. I didn't think of this before, and my kids and my self actually went into the pool yesterday afternoon, well over 8 hours after the product was in. Since the bag didn't say anything related to that, I thought it might be OK.
2. Based on the instructions, I waited until my FC dropped below 5ppm. Should I let it get to around 3ppm and keep it at that level? I don't want to have an algae outbreak