New member, please check my numbers

May 12, 2015
Clearwater, FL
Hi! I'm new to this forum. I have been reading all of the great information here. Here's some background. I'm near Clearwater, Florida. My in ground pool was built in 1986. I had it remodeled and refinished with Pebble Sheen in Feb. of this year. Prior to refinishing the pool, I paid a service to take care of the water. Since the refinishing, I decided to tackle the water chemistry myself. The only instructions my PB gave me were to get muriatic acid and watch the PH. I have a SWG and have been testing the chlorine and PH daily with a cheap testing kit my PB gave me. The chlorine was non existent to begin with and I got the chlorine level up over time and watched the PH and added acid twice a week. I tested chlorine and PH daily and got them both in range. Then about a month ago, I discovered TA and CYA. My PB didn't mention anything about these values and I never tested them. The first time I tested them my TA was 10 and CYA was non existent. So I added about 7 lbs of baking soda and got the TA up to about 60 two weeks ago. Then I added a bottle of granulated CYA the following day. When I checked my chlorine and salt levels after those additions, they both sky rocketed. My salt went from a steady 2900 to 3900 over night and my chlorine was so high it was off the chart of my shaded test kit. So I turned off the SWG and started looking for answers which led me here. The SWG has been off for a week. I ordered the TF 100 and received it yesterday. As of last night, here are my numbers using the TF 100:
FC 5.5
PH 7.2
CC 0
CH 275
TA 40
CYA between 20-30

So it seems my FC is still too high for my CYA level. My SWG is still off. My TA fell from 60 to 40. I assume this is from adding acid twice a week. My CYA is low. I would also note that I have been watching the chlorine daily and it seems very slow to dissipate. It has been reading about the same for 3 days in a row with the SWG off then it will drop slightly. So what should I do first? Raise the TA? I'm also concerned about my high salt reading and what caused it to jump up so high. I am afraid to add anything that will affect salt levels right now because if it goes up any higher, the SWG will shut down and not generate. At what FC level should I turn the SWG back on? The water is and has been crystal clear and sparkling. Thanks so much for your assistance.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

You could add soda ash which is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores. This will bring up both your pH & TA. Or, just use baking soda to bring up the TA and aerate the pool to bring the pH up. A waterfall, small fountain or even turning the returns up to make ripples on the surface will aerate the water and naturally raise pH.

Stop by WalMart and pick up some more CYA and get that up to about 50. I would prefer you tow do it in two steps so you don't overshoot.

Use Pool Math to calculate any additions.

In sunny Florida the FC should come down easily, do you have a screen enclosure that is shading it?

Thank you tim5055! Yes, I do have a screen enclosure that shades the pool and keeps it cool. I also have two sheer descent waterfalls that I run daily when the pump is on. The PH has no problems rising on its own. I know that will come up. I will add some more baking soda and I'll pick up some more CYA. What TA level am I shooting for? Will the baking soda affect my salt reading? It still says 3900.

Thank you tim5055! Yes, I do have a screen enclosure that shades the pool and keeps it cool. I also have two sheer descent waterfalls that I run daily when the pump is on. The PH has no problems rising on its own. I know that will come up. I will add some more baking soda and I'll pick up some more CYA. What TA level am I shooting for? Will the baking soda affect my salt reading? It still says 3900.
I would shoot for 60 for now as you can always add a little more it the pH swings too wildly. It should not affect your salt.

Our recommended levels for all pools is HERE

If you can add your screen enclosure to your signature it may help us when answering questions. You can see by your slow FC drop that it is shading quite a bit of the UV rays..

Glad to have you here!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.