TF100 Chlorine Testing

flipflop

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm probably obsessing over nothing, but something's been bugging me about the TF100 DPD test ever since I started using it.

The instructions say to use a "heaping" scoop of the powder, which seems pretty subjective in the world of chemistry. With such a small scoop and varying interpretations of what "heaping" means, one tester might use as much as twice the amount of powder as another tester.

So my question...what does a "heaping" scoop of DPD powder look like to you?

You have two options. You can be a two-leveled scoop perfectionist or a heaper. Two leveled scoops using the spoon provided with the kit will be enough. A heaping scoop, essentially one level scoop with another level scoop over the top of it will be enough too. I'm a proud Heaper.

If you're still concerned, if you have a little bit undissolved after adding your DPD powder, that's enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the actual required weight for the test? Im curious because we have DPD powder at work that we use to test chlorine in out cool water towers and it comes prepackaged in a tiny foil bag. If I remember correctly the directions say that the amount doesn't matter. Is that true? If I do one heaping scoop or one HUGE scoop does it really not matter?

Wayne

What is the actual required weight for the test? Im curious because we have DPD powder at work that we use to test chlorine in out cool water towers and it comes prepackaged in a tiny foil bag. If I remember correctly the directions say that the amount doesn't matter. Is that true? If I do one heaping scoop or one HUGE scoop does it really not matter?

Wayne

If it is this, yes you can use it. 1 packet for 10ml water.

You can not really use too much of the powder (within reason of course), but too little can result in questionable behavior/results.

If the water turns a nice pink color, then you should have enough powder. The only reason you might need more than 1 scoop is if you are trying to test high FC levels (20+ ppm).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.