Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF100 Chlorine Testing

1. Back To Top    #1

TF100 Chlorine Testing

I'm probably obsessing over nothing, but something's been bugging me about the TF100 DPD test ever since I started using it.

The instructions say to use a "heaping" scoop of the powder, which seems pretty subjective in the world of chemistry. With such a small scoop and varying interpretations of what "heaping" means, one tester might use as much as twice the amount of powder as another tester.

So my question...what does a "heaping" scoop of DPD powder look like to you?
    20,000 gal. free-form plaster on concrete
    Triton DE filter, 1.5HP pump
    Aquabot Elite pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF100 Chlorine Testing

Overfilling the tiny bowl.

In the FAS/DPD Chlorine test for the TF-100 Video you can see the scoop
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, this is not a precision amount. As long as it's really good and full it's ok. Agreed, it could be subjective, but it's ok to be close.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Huh...didn't know there was a video for that. Thanks!
    20,000 gal. free-form plaster on concrete
    Triton DE filter, 1.5HP pump
    Aquabot Elite pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
    Huh...didn't know there was a video for that. Thanks!
    There are more - Check them out
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

You have two options. You can be a two-leveled scoop perfectionist or a heaper. Two leveled scoops using the spoon provided with the kit will be enough. A heaping scoop, essentially one level scoop with another level scoop over the top of it will be enough too. I'm a proud Heaper.

If you're still concerned, if you have a little bit undissolved after adding your DPD powder, that's enough.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

I just watched the video, and realized for the past year, I have been using the wrong side of the blue scooper thing.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by yostmatt View Post
    I just watched the video, and realized for the past year, I have been using the wrong side of the blue scooper thing.
    You're surely not the first and certainly not the last!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

I can't find my scoop!! I've been using the end of one of the girl's hair clips and guessing the heaping amount my scoop used to hold...
    Intex 22X52 Ultra Frame
    Hayward VL Series Sand Filter
    Full Sun, No trees
    Taylor TF-100
    Gorgeous deck!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Carlajo View Post
    I can't find my scoop!! I've been using the end of one of the girl's hair clips and guessing the heaping amount my scoop used to hold...
    You can buy a new scoop, but at fifteen cents I'd wait until I needed additional reagents of maybe a SpeedStir.

11. Back To Top    #11

What is the actual required weight for the test? Im curious because we have DPD powder at work that we use to test chlorine in out cool water towers and it comes prepackaged in a tiny foil bag. If I remember correctly the directions say that the amount doesn't matter. Is that true? If I do one heaping scoop or one HUGE scoop does it really not matter?

Wayne
    24'X54" Round 15,000 Gallon Pool
    Pentair SD-60 Sand Filter With 1.5HP Pump & Center Floor Drain
    Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister
    New TFPC User And Couldn't Be Happier
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = A Perfect Trouble Free Pool

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
    What is the actual required weight for the test? Im curious because we have DPD powder at work that we use to test chlorine in out cool water towers and it comes prepackaged in a tiny foil bag. If I remember correctly the directions say that the amount doesn't matter. Is that true? If I do one heaping scoop or one HUGE scoop does it really not matter?

Wayne
    If it is this, yes you can use it. 1 packet for 10ml water.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

You can not really use too much of the powder (within reason of course), but too little can result in questionable behavior/results.

If the water turns a nice pink color, then you should have enough powder. The only reason you might need more than 1 scoop is if you are trying to test high FC levels (20+ ppm).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    If it is this, yes you can use it. 1 packet for 10ml water.
    That is exactly what we have. Only thing is, is that out powder is for 25ml samples.

Wayne
    24'X54" Round 15,000 Gallon Pool
    Pentair SD-60 Sand Filter With 1.5HP Pump & Center Floor Drain
    Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister
    New TFPC User And Couldn't Be Happier
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = A Perfect Trouble Free Pool

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

You could test with 25 ml. I don't recall the number to multiply by. It may be in the extended test kit instructions on here.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

16. Back To Top    #16

25ml makes the test 0.2ppm increments.

Or use half a pack in 10ml of water
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

It is in post 4 in this thread. Says multiply by .2

Extended Test Kit Directions
    Lisa