Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph Hard to raise

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph Hard to raise

So i added Borates a little over a week ago, my ph is now a little low 7.2

I seem to be having a hard time raising it to 7.5 i understand that is part of what borates does, but how do i get ph up to 7.5?

I've been aerating for quite a while now
    Located in Ottawa, Ontario Canada
    23K Gal, AG, Cart filter, 1.5hp 2speed hay PowerFlo Matrix, Install Sum'13, Aquatrol SWG, Solarbear panels, kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac, TF-100
    Artesian ~500gal Grand Gayman Island Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ph Hard to raise

Washing soda or soda ash will do a better job of raising pH per oz. of product than borates. Also, your TA could be unusually low. A full suite of test results will give us a much better picture of what is going on.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

FC 5
    salt 2900
    ph 7.2
    TA 90
    CH 110
    Borates 50
    CYA 50
    23K Gal, AG, Cart filter, 1.5hp 2speed hay PowerFlo Matrix, Install Sum'13, Aquatrol SWG, Solarbear panels, kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for posting those results. I would go with the washing soda or soda ash and keep aerating as you have. You will need about half the amount (by weight or volume) of washing soda or soda ash than you would borates to raise the pH to a given target. Plus, with borates already at 50 ppm, I would not add any more of that.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree, I would go with Soda Ash if it were me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

that will increase my TA though? Is my TA not at the right level? according to poolmath it could be even lower at 80

7. Back To Top    #7

Personally, I'd leave it alone. 7.2 is swimmable. There's no need to micromanage it. A few days or a week of SWG on will probably push the pH up a bit anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Personally, I'd leave it alone. 7.2 is swimmable. There's no need to micromanage it. A few days or a week of SWG on will probably push the pH up a bit anyway.

if i run it through a propane heater, will it not be a bit acidic for the metals?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
    if i run it through a propane heater, will it not be a bit acidic for the metals?
    No. 7.0 pH is neutral. 7.2 is slightly basic.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    No. 7.0 pH is neutral. 7.2 is slightly basic.
    interesting the manual for heater says ph should be 7.6-7.8 and CH 200 min

11. Back To Top    #11

If your heater is still under warranty, I would follow their recommendations especially if there is a chance you would invoke the warranty. Aside from that, a pH between 7.2 and 7.8 is fine as far as pool water management is concerned. During swim season, I aim for a pH of 7.4 simply because that is very close to the pH of tears and therefore easier on the eyes. During the off-season, I let pH drift up a bit to 7.6-7.8.