Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noobie here with pool pics

1. Back To Top    #1

Noobie here with pool pics

Pool built in 2000. Had it refurbed last season, 2014. Plaster was getting pourous and tiles were coming loose, especially at the raised beam under the sheer descent. Changed from white plaster and ceramic tiles to blue/grey plaster with ceramic color quartz and glass tiles. Here are before and after pics. I tried to insert a few in between pics during the refurb, but files were to large I guess. I really need to learn abut this TFP chemical method. Briefly skimmed over some posts and apparently my inline chlorinator with 3" tabs is not the best maintenance method for keeping my pool healthy. I am also using aquacheck select test strips. Dip, wait 15 seconds, get all of your readings in one shot.

Before...
    100_1586.jpg

After...

100_4404.jpg
    Last edited by JamesR; 05-20-2015 at 06:53 AM. Reason: typo
    28K gallon, raised beam, plaster/ceramic color quartz with attached spa. TF-100 test kit
    Hayward 1.5HP super pump, DE4800 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator w/3" tabs (off)
    Pool: 2 floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 3.5' deep > 8' deep
    Spa: 2 floor drains, 4 jet returns

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noobie here with pool pics

Welcome to TFP. Nice pool transformation (although the "before" pic looked pretty good too from what I can see).

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR
    ...apparently my inline chlorinator with 3" tabs is not the best maintenance method for keeping my pool healthy.
    Correct. Continued use of tabs will raise CYA levels and necessitate ever-higher chlorine levels to compensate. See Chlorine CYA Chart. This is the most important relationship to understand if you want to maintain a crystal-clear pool.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR
    I am also using aquacheck select test strips.
    We recommend getting a good drop-type test kit like one of these Recommended Test Kits. Test strips do not provide the accuracy needed to properly maintain your pool. The test strips I have seen have wide ranges on what they consider good (e.g., they often call CYA in the range of 30-80 "good"). While that's usually true for a manually-chlorinated pool, a SWG pool will need CYA in the 70-80 ppm range. While a CYA of 30-50 is good for a manually-dosed pool, it is not good for a SWG pool. Plus, knowing that the CYA is between 30 and 80 ppm does not give you enough information on what chlorine level you need to maintain.

If you haven't already, I would check out ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Looking at your link to recommended test kits, it appears that the TF-100 is the most versatile kit. I will order one of those.
    28K gallon, raised beam, plaster/ceramic color quartz with attached spa. TF-100 test kit
    Hayward 1.5HP super pump, DE4800 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator w/3" tabs (off)
    Pool: 2 floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 3.5' deep > 8' deep

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks nice James. And hey ... definitely take charge of testing on your own using one of the recommended kits. I use the TF-100 with the magnetic stirrer. Not only do I look like a rocket-scientist now, our pool is always clear The TFP way works.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, that's a beautiful pool and landscaping. Great job.
    25K gal saltwater gunite and Pebble Tech plus built in spa. Features-Weeping rock wall, and fountains. All Pentair equipment. Main pump- Intelliflo 4/160. Feature pump- Intelliflo 2hp single speed. Aux cleaner pump-Pentair 1hp. DE filter, Pentair heater, Glacier GCP210 pool chiller.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all. I just ordered the TF-100 kit. Read the TFPC for beginners thread and posted a comment at the end of that long topic.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

Very nice pool remodel!

Couple more articles for you to read.
    Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome James!

I like both pools as well, but love the waterline tile in number two. Beautiful, and you're off to a great start. Good to have you join up. Enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you! You cannot imagine the amount of pool tile and glass samples the wife had at our home when we were re-doing this pool. You could have tiled a complete pool using all of them! I think I had more samples in our dining room that NPT had in their showroom. We are real happy with the glass look against the water color. Gives it an inviting soft appearance.

ps.... how do I attach another picture? I get a message stating I have exceeded file size. Is there a limit to what I can upload per each topic or for each reply?

10. Back To Top    #10

Easiest way is to link to an external picture storage like Flikr or Google+. No limit there.
    Otherwise you can get more space here by contributing to the Website.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

I think the after picture would look even better with a bunch of babes in bikinis lounging around it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks great and I agree 1000% with Richard!!! Welcome to the forum and on a serious note it is so liberating to know the chemistry behind what happens with a very large investment like an IG pool and the effects chemicals have.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I think the after picture would look even better with a bunch of babes in bikinis lounging around it.
    True, but I don't think the wife would appreciate "a bunch of babes" in there.
    ......Honest honey I though they were your friends, I have no idea how they got here.

14. Back To Top    #14

i wish i had a pool like that!! looks great!!
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48" sand filter w/intex SWG.
    Pool Blaster Max Vacuum
    3rd year with Intex and no problems
    Pentair Mastertemp BTU 125/ propane
    Taylor K2006 Complete FAS-DPD

15. Back To Top    #15

Question about your new plaster - was it just a regular plaster (no Quartz added or anything) with some color added?

I really like your plaster color. We're about to redo our pool with a basic white plaster and wondering if I should consider coloring it a bit.

16. Back To Top    #16

Wow... so very nice!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post
    Question about your new plaster - was it just a regular plaster (no Quartz added or anything) with some color added?

I really like your plaster color. We're about to redo our pool with a basic white plaster and wondering if I should consider coloring it a bit.
    So sorry for the very late reply, but it is grey dyed plaster with many different quartz colors embedded into it. Gives it a nice blue/turquoise color in the sun.

18. Back To Top    #18

would you mind telling me what tile you went with. I'm in the design phase of my pool. We are looking for a blue glass and I really like the look of yours. After looking at tile it all starts to look alike.