Valve arrangement

May 19, 2015
Chester, Md
I'm new to the forum. I have had a pool for 9 years. I open and close it myself. One thing that bothers me about the pool is the spa drains back to the return nozzles on it every evening when pool pump shuts off. Looking at the valve arrangement there is a two way valve inline from the heater that then goes to a thruway valve one side pool return and other side spa return. If I close the spa return the spa does not drain. However, I like to leave it half open to have water spill over the spa into the pool. I was wondering what purpose the two way valve serves as I have never used it. If I did I think it would close all water going to returns so why is it there? It would be easy to take it out and put a check valve in. Does anyone have an idea why this would not be ok?

That three way valve sounds like it allows you to send hot water to either the pool, the spa, or both. I'd leave it in place and just add a check valve after the three way. Use a flapper type of check valve from Jandy or Pentair. The flapper types have less restriction than the spring loaded ball type check valves and are easily rebuildable if problems arise.

That three way valve sounds like it allows you to send hot water to either the pool, the spa, or both. I'd leave it in place and just add a check valve after the three way. Use a flapper type of check valve from Jandy or Pentair. The flapper types have less restriction than the spring loaded ball type check valves and are easily rebuildable if problems arise.

I probably did not make myself clear. The three way is for spa or pool return or combination. There is a two way before the three way which I have never used. I always wondered if I closed it how would water get to the returns. Just don't understand why it is there. Would like to remove it and put a check valve in its place.

The gray two way valve between the heater and the black three way valve is only useful if your equipment is below water level. Otherwise is serves no purpose.

Putting a check valve in place of the two way valve won't help anything. The spa will still be able to drain down into the pool when the pump is off. Water will simply run backwards through the spa return, the black three way valve and into the pool return pipe.

The gray 90, just to the right of the black three way valve looks very much like a check valve. From what I can see, it even has a cover that comes off to allow servicing.

That is a tee with a cap going to spa return line. I have never taken the cap off. Maybe it is a check valve and it is broken. I will take it off. Draining back makes sense now that you mentioned it. Thanks I see the check won't work where the two way is now. Not sure what I can do if the tee is not a check valve. There is only about 6 inches of two inch pipe above ground under the tee unless I could bring pool and spa return up about 10 inches, put the check on the vertical 2 inch spa return and still have a small pitch from heater to the three way. I'm not sure if Jandy checks work in vertical.

That is a tee with a cap going to spa return line. I have never taken the cap off. Maybe it is a check valve and it is broken. I will take it off. Draining back makes sense now that you mentioned it. Thanks I see the check won't work where the two way is now. Not sure what I can do if the tee is not a check valve. There is only about 6 inches of two inch pipe above ground under the tee unless I could bring pool and spa return up about 10 inches, put the check on the vertical 2 inch spa return and still have a small pitch from heater to the three way. I'm not sure if Jandy checks work in vertical.

Looked at outside cap and it is a purex pool equipment and I believe it is a check valve. I'm going away for the holidays and will remove cap when I get back. I'm guessing the mechanism is still in there and not working. I have had spa drain down for 10 years and have asked a couple of pool companies when they were here one time to replace pump and another time to fix a leak if they could put in a check valve and they said they would get back with me which they never did. I guess they did not know that was what was
Installed. Thanks so much you know more then either of them. I did get sticker shock looking it up and price is $107.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason,

Maybe you can help me. I pulled the cap off the tee and it is a check valve. However water poured out. I closed the valve to the spa return and it stilled poured out. I will lower spa today lower then nozzles and keep the valve closed. I think that will work. However because I have a small crack in the spa return line I need to change the 3 way, elbows, and the check. When I do how do I stop the pool return from backing water up its line. Do I need to plug them like in winter closing?

The water coming out of the check valve is probably coming from the spa.

To do plumbing repairs, the simplest thing to do is to drain the pool and spa so both are below the height of the plumbing you want to work on. Typically all that needs to be done is to drain the spa into the pool and drain the filter back into the pool and you will be good. However, if the equipment is below the pool water level more draining than that is required, and it might be simpler to plug the pipes as if winterizing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.