Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I need a gate for AGP side deck but where? Top or bottom of stairs?

1. Back To Top    #1

I need a gate for AGP side deck but where? Top or bottom of stairs?

I need to put an entrance gate to my side pool deck. You enter up a set of stairs. The gate has to open out according to most all codes but do they govern whether it goes ground level or deck level on an AGP? if the gate is at the top and has to be opened out then obviously one has to step back down the stairs to do so. Ground level makes more sense. I read it somewhere but can't remember what I read.
    18ft. diameter, 48 inch deep Sharkline Reprieve AGP, 7000 gallons, Intex 14 inch sand filter with 3/4 H.P. 2,150 GPH pump, Intex SWG
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I need a gate for AGP side deck but where? Top or bottom of stairs?

The real deciding factor is whether the handrail can be climbed or has opening's large enough to crawl through if the gate is on the bottom. If the handrails can't be breached then it should be fine to put at ground level. However, your insurance and/or local AHJ has the final say.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I need a gate for AGP side deck but where? Top or bottom of stairs?

As Dave said, if it is required by your locality or insurance then you will have to see what they require. If you have flexibility, we really like our retractable gate. It is certified for top of stair use as well. That would avoid a swinging in/out issue. But we aren't required to have anything here, this is just something we wanted to install ourselves, so I have no idea how it would work with a code.
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit