Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Normal Chlorine Consumption

1. Back To Top    #1

Normal Chlorine Consumption

Hello I have been losing about 3ppm of chlorine each day for the past week. My pool is an above ground 13,500 gallons using the BBB method. It gets direct sunlight pretty much all daylight hours. It may get partial shade the last hour or two of daylight. It has been in the upper 80's this past week and sunny. Here are my pool readings, just wondering if this amount of chlorine loss per day is normal for a pool such as mine.

Water temp 85
    FC 6.5
    PH 7.5
    TA 100
    CH 100
    CYA 35
    CC .5

The test were completed using Taylor TF-100

Should I raise my CYA because of the direct sunlight or is this just normal?
    13,500 gallons AG 24' Round, Hayward Pro Series S180t Sand Filter 34 GPM, Hayward Power-Flow Matrix 1.5 hp Dual Speed Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Normal Chlorine Consumption

Losing only 3 ppm per day is pretty good if you get a lot of sun. Raising CYA to 50 or so might cut it down to 2 or 2½
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

We're near the same latitude and I'm losing 3 PPM/Day in the sun at:

Water temp 82
    FC 4.0
    CC .2
    PH 7.4
    TA 100
    CH 250
    CYA 40
    BORATE 50

4. Back To Top    #4

The southern sun packs a punch. We use that here on hot days.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I lose about 2ppm per day, most days. However I run my CYA near 60ppm. If you're losing 2 to 3 ppm per day I'd call it good. It's probably not worth raising the CYA just for 1 ppm FC per day. That's only about an extra pint of bleach a day. It'd take a long time to pay for an extra 3 lbs of stabilizer at that rate.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone for the replies. I figured that was probably normal just wasn't 100% sure. I'll just go with it. I have been trying to keep the FC at 6ppm and just realized the target was 4.5 - 5 for my CYA level. Thanks again.
    13,500 gallons AG 24' Round, Hayward Pro Series S180t Sand Filter 34 GPM, Hayward Power-Flow Matrix 1.5 hp Dual Speed Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I found adding above the target just results in more FC burn off. Just keep it at target range for your cya.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

What is everyone in Texas losing mid summer? I have alot of direct sunlight and losing 3 PPM a day is going to require a TON of bleach.
    18k gallon IG gunite/pebblesheen with 3ton moss rock waterfall, 8 ft 12" raised wall & rock accents , 42sq ft 12" raised spa w/ 6 jets & cascading stacked stone waterfall, 3HP Intellifo VS pump,
    420sq ft Pentair cartridge filter, 400,000 BTU Pentair Gas Heater, 1.5HP Whisperflo water feature pump, 1.5HP Silencer Spa Blower, 3 intellibrite lights, EZTouch System 8