Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello, and THANK YOU!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello, and THANK YOU!

Hello all! I've been taking care of my mother in law's pool since moving down to Arizona last year. I came in with ZERO knowledge and have been referencing this lovely forum constantly.

Let me just say, her pool wasn't in the greatest shape. She was using calcium hypo and trichlor pucks, but was keeping chlorine levels no where near where they needed to be, so algae was a huge issue. She had no idea how to take care of it, and she received plenty of misinformation from the previous home owner, and the pool stores. She was complaining to me about how every time she brought in a water sample, it was always "you must BUY THIS!" or "you must USE THIS." She felt like she was spending tons of money but never getting anything done.

So, after spending a few nights reading and researching (mostly on this forum) I convinced her to invest in a decent test kit, and lots of liquid chlorine.

A few months later, the pool water is in pristine condition. The water quality is like night and day! She thinks I'm a wizard, and on top of that, the chemistry side of this is starting to turn into a hobby for me.

So I just wanted to thank everyone here for such a useful and awesome community!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello, and THANK YOU!

Hey! That's a great entry if I do say so!! Welcome to TFP...

Congratulations on your Wizard status, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join and be with us. Thanks for the nice words.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

That's pretty awesome, and a testimony to how great this site is. Someone with an iq can just read, understand, and apply the methods. Then there are the dummies like me that have to ask everytime we test. Welcome to the site!

sent from the device my boss pays the bill for, so I should be working instead of posting here
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP! Great first post! We love to hear the success stories.

LOL! JustDontfillitin, other people don't have to ask questions because people like you do ask questions and they read your threads. It's all good, we've all got clear pools here!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP! Great story.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome and congratulations on your success
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome! Would love to see pics!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter