Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 'Almost' New Member and First Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

'Almost' New Member and First Test Results

Found this site last year and was very helpful when had an algae bloom and got tired of the pool store kids selling me things that didn't work. Being a chemist I should have known better and after reading tons on here I definitely know better now. Opened the pool this Saturday and was nice and green. Couldn't find a K-2006 test kit anywhere local so ordered a TF-100 but while waiting for it to arrive went and bought reagents for an old Leslie's DPD kit the original owner had around so I could test the pH and FC while I waited for the TF-100 kit. The pH was 7.5 so I started mini-slamming while waiting. Water went from green to crystal clear in three days. Brushed and backwashed numerous times a day. TF-100 kit arrived today so waited until after dark and just finished my first tests. Results are below.

FC - 15
    CC - 0.5
    pH - 8 (assume is reading high due to SLAM FC levels)
    TA - 100
    CH - 225
    CYA - 25 (but was doing with only decent inside light but clearly is low)

So I know I need to get the CYA up between 70-80 for a SWG pool. Do I need to address the TA also now or wait until I pass an OCLT and let the FC and pH normalize? Unfortunately I have to travel tomorrow for business so won't really be able to do too much until Thursday. I'm hoping that I can squeeze in a quick FC test before I leave tomorrow morning (at 5am).

Thanks in advance for any advice and for such a great resource!

Joe
    14,000 gallons IG Carlton ecoFINISH, Hayward Swimpure Plus Salt Chlorinator T-Cell-15-SWP, Hayward DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP, Raypak RP 2100 Heater, Dolphin cleaning robot, TF-100 Test Kit with speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 'Almost' New Member and First Test Results

Welcome!

There's nothing wrong with your TA. As you adjust pH, it will come down on it's own quick enough. And you have it figured with the pH test and the high FC, so no comments needed there aside from "good job!"

So, yeah, get a better CYA test - most of us pour the sample back and forth multiple times when we test it - and add it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great. Thanks Richard. Will update on my OCLT when I get to do it.
    14,000 gallons IG Carlton ecoFINISH, Hayward Swimpure Plus Salt Chlorinator T-Cell-15-SWP, Hayward DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP, Raypak RP 2100 Heater, Dolphin cleaning robot, TF-100 Test Kit with speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Looking good!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach