Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any ingenious ways to heat water in an Above Ground?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone have any ingenious ways to heat water in an Above Ground?

Hello,

I have a Doughboy sink in the ground pool. Sits about 18 inches out of the ground. Anyone have any ingenious ways to heat the pool water up as it goes through the return line? I know I could buy a heater, I am talking a cheap ingenious idea you have done that worked?

Maybe wrapping the flex hose in aluminum or something that conducts heat well and transfers it? Any tips would be great!
    21,120 Gallons / AG Doughboy that is sunk into the ground / Steel walls
    Sand Filter (Tagelus - Model TA-40/400) / 1 speed Pentair 1.0 HP Pump Model # SF-N1-1A/340038
    10/2013 - Install / TF-100 w/ Speed Stir / Automatic Chlorination / Pool filled using city water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone have any ingenious ways to heat water in an Above Ground?

I keep my pump off during the day and let the sun pound the day lights out of the pool. It warms it through better than a solar cover does which only heats the top 6"of water.

The thing is though, that no matter how you generate heat, if you don't cover the pool at night, you lose it all.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Pretty sure the sun is adding the same amount of heat to the pool whether the pump is running or not.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

So you say leaving your pump off during the day and it will make it warm up faster and put the solar cover on at night?
    Sand Filter (Tagelus - Model TA-40/400) / 1 speed Pentair 1.0 HP Pump Model # SF-N1-1A/340038
    10/2013 - Install / TF-100 w/ Speed Stir / Automatic Chlorination / Pool filled using city water

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I don't think you'll find any ideas that work well. Heating a pool involves massive btu consumption and, other than solar, there is no really practical way to make that transfer. Solar costs money.....quite a bit up front.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Having the pump off in the day will not make it warmer.
    Yes, you need to have the cover on at night. Also having the cover on when it is windy will reduce evaporation losses.

The cheapest solution is a cover. (<$100)
    Next would be adding some solar panels. ($200 +)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Black plastic pipe in direct sunlight built into a solar collector. Any pool would take a lot of BTUs to heat. Plus the massive thermal losses that would occur the further the water temp and ambient air temps are apart when you aren't able to heat. Plans are out there. I preheat domestic hot water with solar collectors into a storage tank. On the other hand natural gas is cheap.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bhmhrex View Post
    Hello,

I have a Doughboy sink in the ground pool. Sits about 18 inches out of the ground. Anyone have any ingenious ways to heat the pool water up as it goes through the return line? I know I could buy a heater, I am talking a cheap ingenious idea you have done that worked?

Maybe wrapping the flex hose in aluminum or something that conducts heat well and transfers it? Any tips would be great!
    Using the heat from your AC unit has been done. Have seen people use geothermal, burying coils underground to stabilize the thermal momentum. But really there's no magic bullets around the laws of thermodynamics.

9. Back To Top    #9

One of those ungainly bubble-wrap covers traps and retains heat better than you might imagine. You also don't lose any heat to evaporative cooling on the surface.

They also trap and retain leaves and dust worse than you might imagine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

It takes 100s and 100s of feet of black plastic pipes to get enough sqft of exposure and BTUs to make much of a difference. It is cheaper and easier to buy a couple solar mats when you look at the $/sqft
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Talk about letting air out of my solar cover!!!! Guess I shall stick with my solar cover then!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

I saw the funniest YouTube video on this subject. Note that I am absolutely NOT recommening these methods but search redneck pool heater or maybe it was Kentucky pool heater. Anyway. Its entertaining!!
    15'x30' oval AGP. 12000 gal. 1 HP pentair pump. 19 inch sand filter.
    Auto vacuum thing that works through skimmer. Solar cover.
    OLD 400ish gallon Cal Spa hot tub with two new pumps (ouch)

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by reeves5327 View Post
    I saw the funniest YouTube video on this subject. Note that I am absolutely NOT recommening these methods but search redneck pool heater or maybe it was Kentucky pool heater. Anyway. Its entertaining!!
    Hey! Don't make fun of Kentucky! Wait. Ah, go ahead. Are you talking about the one where the guy used about 800 copper 90's and 1/2" pipe and made the one that went on his grill? He basically made a ~100k btu grill pool heater. Then fired it dry and melted the solder out of a lot of his fittings. Not the brightest crayon in the box there.
    This is my vote for coolest way to heat water. You'd need to burn down a forest to heat a pool though.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Wasn't making fun of the state. Honestly there's a YouTube post called Kentucky pool heater. He uses his filter hoses rerouted to his fire pit then through a few feet of metal pipe placed in fire and back to pool with more pool hose. Seriously!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Anyone have any ingenious ways to heat water in an Above Ground?

I just looked that up. That is ignorant. I can't say the wood burning pool heater never crossed my mind. Luckily I saw lots of comparisons, and math I hadn't seen in years, on here about the efficiency and btu requirements of heating a pool. For a pool the size of mine, wood's not gonna cut it. I did find some other fun ways to heat a pool when I searched for ky pool heater.
    This is the one I thought you were talking about.
    http://www.redneckpoolheater.com

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Oh boy. The wheelbarrow is my favorite.
    That is truly fantastic!! Think I will stick to the hot central Washington sun and my solar blanket at night!

17. Back To Top    #17

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    It takes 100s and 100s of feet of black plastic pipes to get enough sqft of exposure and BTUs to make much of a difference. It is cheaper and easier to buy a couple solar mats when you look at the $/sqft
    Why do people continue to state this when you can get 100 feet of black irrigation tubing for $13? Every thread out on the internet asking about heating a pool states this. When it's $150 for a single commercial solar panel, how is half a sheet of plywood and 100 feet of black tubing for $13 more expensive?

Google for DIY pool solar panel heater. Take a 4x4 sheet of plywood, coil the black polyethylene irrigation tubing available in half inch or 3/4 inch at Lowes, and add a couple of fittings to connect it to the pump. Want more heat? You have half a sheet of plywood left over, another $13 of tubing and connect the 2 panels together.

There's countless people on the net whom have just tossed tubing up on their garage or house roof and have warmed up their pool, yet also countless people whom have never done it state it doesn't work.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I think what jblizzle is trying to say is that 100 LINEAR feet of tubing does not equate to 100 SQ. FT. of panel. Not saying your proposal won't work to some degree.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
    Why do people continue to state this when you can get 100 feet of black irrigation tubing for $13? Every thread out on the internet asking about heating a pool states this. When it's $150 for a single commercial solar panel, how is half a sheet of plywood and 100 feet of black tubing for $13 more expensive?

Google for DIY pool solar panel heater. Take a 4x4 sheet of plywood, coil the black polyethylene irrigation tubing available in half inch or 3/4 inch at Lowes, and add a couple of fittings to connect it to the pump. Want more heat? You have half a sheet of plywood left over, another $13 of tubing and connect the 2 panels together.

There's countless people on the net whom have just tossed tubing up on their garage or house roof and have warmed up their pool, yet also countless people whom have never done it state it doesn't work.

I pass a house out in the sticks of Pa heading down into the patch that does the same thing to grab heat to his in ground pool. I should stop n bend his ear one of these days to see how he likes it. I'd be interested to see what he says.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

You can get a 40 sqft panel for well under $100 (have not check prices recently). 100 feet of 0.5" black pipe is about 5 sqft ... So you need 800 feet to have the same heating area which is $104 using your numbers ... That is before fittings to make multiple parallel runs.

Commercial panels are cheaper than diy when you look at cost per area of exposure (or BTUs heat added).
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast