Salt System trips breaker immediately

Jun 14, 2014
Georgetown
Hello,

I have a salt system that seems to trip the breaker immediately. It was working fine last year and the beginning of this year, but all of a sudden it seems to stop working. It tripped the breaker and the heater was on the same circuit, so it went out too. If I reset the breaker, the salt system doesn't even come on for a second; the breaker immediately trips. I took the heater out of the circuit and tried again; same thing, no reaction from the salt cell and the breaker trips right away. If I take the salt system out of the circuit, the heater runs fine. I have been searching the web for answers to this problem and can't find anything. Anyone out there experienced this problem or know what I could try?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Sounds like you have a short circuit in the controller's power supply. Do / did you smell any smoke like odor when you open the panel door? Is it still under warranty? If it is, you should call the manufacturer. If not, you could take the faceplate off the unit for a visual look see?

It could be anything in the power supply. Normally, when a transformer fails you would smell it. Hence the odor question. Perhaps someone else has an idea that will help you. Short of that, unless you have access to circuit schematics and the test equipment needed to trouble shoot / repair it, you will probably need to replace the entire system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.