Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt System trips breaker immediately

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt System trips breaker immediately

Hello,

I have a salt system that seems to trip the breaker immediately. It was working fine last year and the beginning of this year, but all of a sudden it seems to stop working. It tripped the breaker and the heater was on the same circuit, so it went out too. If I reset the breaker, the salt system doesn't even come on for a second; the breaker immediately trips. I took the heater out of the circuit and tried again; same thing, no reaction from the salt cell and the breaker trips right away. If I take the salt system out of the circuit, the heater runs fine. I have been searching the web for answers to this problem and can't find anything. Anyone out there experienced this problem or know what I could try?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt System trips breaker immediately

Sounds like you have a short circuit in the controller's power supply. Do / did you smell any smoke like odor when you open the panel door? Is it still under warranty? If it is, you should call the manufacturer. If not, you could take the faceplate off the unit for a visual look see?
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

No smoke like odor, and no warranty. I took the faceplate off and inspected it, but everything seems to be in order. Nothing obviously wrong that I can see. I am stumped.

4. Back To Top    #4

It could be anything in the power supply. Normally, when a transformer fails you would smell it. Hence the odor question. Perhaps someone else has an idea that will help you. Short of that, unless you have access to circuit schematics and the test equipment needed to trouble shoot / repair it, you will probably need to replace the entire system.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

My neighbor had a simular problem and he replaced the breaker in the SWG and it fixed it ..
    Could be a breaker , or a short somewhare ??
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

6. Back To Top    #6

hmmmm...the heater seems to work when the salt system is taken out which makes me think it is not the breaker that is the problem. I've ended up ordering a new board. I will post how it goes when I get it in.