bbrock

Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Polaris 280. Not the most satisfied with it. Ever since switching to my pump to a Hayward MaxFlo VS 1.5hp, my Polaris has acting up. So far, I have it working fair enough, but I am already over it.

I started researching The Poolvergnuegen. It started with looking at their suction side 2x cleaner, but I realized that would not work for me as I have no dedicated suction line and only one skimmer in the middle of my pool. I have 5 return jets and one dedicated return line/pressure line for the Polaris. The Poolvergnuegen has gotten some strong reviews else where, but again that was the suction model. Regardless, the pressure model seems like a great unit.

This thread is meant for a battle of opinions/reasons why you believe/feel that either the The Poolvergnuegen Pressure Pool Cleaner or Polaris 280 is the better cleaner. Please state your choice and reasons. I can benefit from this as well as many other TFPers.

Alright, let's keep it clean.

You're probably not getting enough water to the 280 for it to work correctly. I have no experience with the Poolvergnuegen, but it would be a manual process to use the vacuum considering your single skimmer. I would suggest you look into a robot.

My 280 has been a work horse and when properly cared for keeps the pool squeaky clean.

Actually, I am now getting too much pressure to my 280. Recently, I removed my UWF only to discover the prior owner (or some other owner) had the red restrictor disc in place. I removed it b/c at that time I was not getting enough pressure. W/out any restrictor disc, and changing my pressure relief valve to a PVC plug, I am getting about 36 RPM. Too much. The 280 was climbing the walls too high/much and actually getting stuck in my solar cover. I drilled out the hole of the red disc to make it a little bigger, but I made it too big. W/ it in place, now modified, I'm back to getting 36 RPM. I played around with the thrust jet and got it at the 7 o'clock position, which helps it from climbing as much, but I have got to reduce my pressure.

The point of this is that there has got to be a better cleaner out there that doesn't need as many maintenance replacement parts, start acting weird every couple of months (i.e. going in circles in one end, not going to the shallow end, climbing walls too much/high), and not give the owner a headache/mystery trying to determine what could be going wrong. The Polaris has worked well when its at its best, but when it is not, personally it's a PITA. This is where my searches for a better cleaner revealed The Pool Cleaner Poolvergnuegen. It looks like a strong candidate as a replacement, if/when that time comes. I was just wanting to hear more people's opinions/experiences with this cleaner.

As for a robot, I have heard mixed things about them. I will say they are pricey. I like the concept of a cleaner like the Polaris just being able to stay in the pool. W/ a robot, I will have to put it in once or more a week, which just seems like an added inconvenience.

bbrock,

I have the Poolvernuegen pressure side cleaner and have been pretty happy with it. I had some trouble in the beginning with it doing wheelies and not cleaning well because the suction port lifted off the pool surface. I called tech support and they sent me a new set of tires that were less buoyant. They also walked me through adding a couple of lead fishing sinkers inside the housing to help keep the front end down. It barely climbs the walls but it does a good job at keeping the pool floor clean. If I had a suction port, I would have gone with the Poolvergnuegen suction side cleaner based upon the reviews I have read.

Also, I recently read a press release that Poolvergnuegen was bought out by one of the big companies, maybe Hayward? When I called tech support, I actually spoke with the owner of the company. I'm sure that's going to change now that they have been bought out.

They also walked me through adding a couple of lead fishing sinkers inside the housing to help keep the front end down.

How many ounces did they have you add? My suction side does a lot of wheelies and that might be a solution to try.

I'm completely satisfied with the suction cleaner and I have heard good things about the pressure side cleaners from Poolvergnuegen. I know they take less pressure to operate and in most circumstances they do not need a booster pump to operate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.