Chemistry question

To lower your CYA you need to do partial drain and refill. Since you don't have a SWG then you want CYA to be 30-50. You don't show your location, but if it is a hooter climate then I would reduce to 50. Your FC is to low for your CYA so you need to add bleach to bring it up.

What test are you using?

I know we start to sound like a skipping record... if you're old enough to understand that... but it's really important to know what the CYA really is. The lines on the view tube are not equidistant. The lines get really close together near the bottom. What looks like a hair over 100 could really be 120 or 130. It's good to know where you are when you start, so you drain enough water. To test CYA when it's high like that, you dilute the sample. Instructions are in Post 8 note 9

Once you get CYA down to a reasonable number, balancing the rest of it is easy. A caution: when you drain water, you also drain salt, so you'll need some of that to bring it back up. And while the slat is low, the SWG might not work, so you'll need a couple gallons of bleach to keep FC up.

Richard320, thanks...my problem is not age, unfortunately it's comprehension...you're right the lines are very close together. Yesterday I put it at 100 with my k2006, took a sample to the pool store and they got the same. Checked again this am, after a 3" thunder boomer last night and it was reading between 90-100. I'm in the midst of draining about 2500 gallons. Thanks for the tips, I didn't think about the salt and FC. Probably should rent a pump....this is too slooooow!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.