Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemistry question

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemistry question

SWG: chlorine levels...FC=4.8 CC=0.4 TC=5.2...CYA=100 ... TA=100...PH=7.6... CH=280...What exactly do I need to do here to get these #'s balanced?

thanks
    Inground 15x30 oval, plaster, 11250 gallons(?) with pool cage...jandy 100sq ft cartridge filter... SWG...Taylor K2006 Test Kit
    Located Apopka, Fl...Orlando area!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Chemistry question

Your CYA is too high to effectively manage your pool. You will need to drain and refill some of your pool?

How are you chlorinating?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

To lower your CYA you need to do partial drain and refill. Since you don't have a SWG then you want CYA to be 30-50. You don't show your location, but if it is a hooter climate then I would reduce to 50. Your FC is to low for your CYA so you need to add bleach to bring it up.

What test are you using?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm chlorinating with SWG...I just got my Taylor k2006 today. My pool store is the reason my CYA is so high they calculated last week to add 6.8 pounds. Where do I need to be, 80 or less? So, a couple 000 gallons?
    Inground 15x30 oval, plaster, 11250 gallons(?) with pool cage...jandy 100sq ft cartridge filter... SWG...Taylor K2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Depends on how high the CYA really is. I would replace 1/4-1/3 of the water and see where you are at.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

The CYA is at 100 at the present.

7. Back To Top    #7

If your test shows 100, it could very easily be higher. I stand by my recommendation. If it is 100, then 1/4 replacement would take it to 75, 1/3 would take it to 67.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Please update your location and pool info (like SWG) in your signature as shown here.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I know we start to sound like a skipping record... if you're old enough to understand that... but it's really important to know what the CYA really is. The lines on the view tube are not equidistant. The lines get really close together near the bottom. What looks like a hair over 100 could really be 120 or 130. It's good to know where you are when you start, so you drain enough water. To test CYA when it's high like that, you dilute the sample. Instructions are in Post 8 note 9

Once you get CYA down to a reasonable number, balancing the rest of it is easy. A caution: when you drain water, you also drain salt, so you'll need some of that to bring it back up. And while the slat is low, the SWG might not work, so you'll need a couple gallons of bleach to keep FC up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Richard320, thanks...my problem is not age, unfortunately it's comprehension...you're right the lines are very close together. Yesterday I put it at 100 with my k2006, took a sample to the pool store and they got the same. Checked again this am, after a 3" thunder boomer last night and it was reading between 90-100. I'm in the midst of draining about 2500 gallons. Thanks for the tips, I didn't think about the salt and FC. Probably should rent a pump....this is too slooooow!

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is the Water Balance for a SWCG pool all in one handy place.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Pooldv...thanks this is just what i needed.