Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yellow Algae? Algae Parts? or Pollen

1. Back To Top    #1

Yellow Algae? Algae Parts? or Pollen

Hi Folks,

I'm assuming this is yellow mustard algae...right? or dead algae parts or pollen?

It's yellow. When I brush it off the sides and bottom of the pool it turns into a dark yellow dust and then diffuses into the water (making the water very slightly cloudy). Next day it's back coating everything.

Start happening when the temperature on the pool went from 70 to 80 degrees with the addition of a solar pool cover and solar heating.

pool.JPG

Suggestions for removal?

Thanks,

John

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Yellow Algae? Algae Parts? or Pollen

I am not sure. However, I would try to vacuum it out. There as another post that was similar and she said after she vacuumed it out several times and her water was balanced it has not come back.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! Hmm, haven't attempted using the vacuum hose thing yet..I figure it would be captured by the filter...which I just cleaned last week...hmmm, I'll give it ago..once I figure out how! Ha!

pH - 7.6
    Chlorine - 3 ppms
    Free Chlorine - 1 ppm

John
    - 25,000 gallons in ground fiberglass pool
    - Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter
    - Pentair VS Inteliflo Pump, Pentair SolarTouch with Solar Panels - 8 hrs run time.
    - Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit
    - Polaris 380 with Hayward Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Your FC is too low you need to get that up. What is your CYA?
    The filter works to an extent, but cannot get it all as it settles before catching it.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

I need to purchase a test kit for CYA. I've just been dumping about a gallon of bleach in every other day. My test kit is yellow which apparently is an "ideal" level. I know there's that Chlorine and CYA relationship.

Guess, I'll hit up amazon right now and purchase a better test kit.

John
    - Pentair VS Inteliflo Pump, Pentair SolarTouch with Solar Panels - 8 hrs run time.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Yes, get a better test kit. I love my TF 100 and speed stir!
    Lisa

7. Back To Top    #7

FYI while waiting for my test kit, I decided to blast it with bleach. Looks like it was algae. Cleared up in two days. No vacuum required.

John

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Thanks for the update.once your test kit arrives post a full set of numbers.
    Lisa