Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Blanket Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Blanket Issues

This is my second season with my current solar blanket. We noticed that all the bubbles are flat. They are still intact, so I do not believe it is a chemical issue. When the pool is in use the blanket is rolled on a roller and covered with a white cover. I just find it odd that the bubbles are flat. Anyone else ever have this issue? What was the problem and solution? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Blanket Issues

Just to clarify, flat as in, all the bubbles are popped?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you put the cover with bubbles up (toward the sun) or down (toward pool bottom) ?
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

4. Back To Top    #4

The bubble s are intact, just laying flat. As if the air inside the bubbles has leaked out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    Do you put the cover with bubbles up (toward the sun) or down (toward pool bottom) ?
    Bubbles down (towards the bottom

5. Back To Top    #5

I will replace the cover. The bubbles need to be inflated otherwise it won't heat the pool as good.
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

6. Back To Top    #6

Its kinda up to you. Solar blankets don't heat the water as well as they prevent heat loss through evaporation. The bubbles just need to be intact enough so that it still floats and it will do its job.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

I read that the bubbles had to be intact or it wouldn't do its job. Apparently, these don't last long if exposed to elements (sun) out of water. Yes, bubble go down. I've been using mine. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to warm the pool with a solar blanket or if they really help?

New pool build in Manor, Texas. 2015. 509 sq. feet; 31'6" x 19'10". Sunshelf & bubbler and waterfall sheer. Gunite inground pool. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump; Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge; Inline chlorination w/UV Sys;Lighting:Pentair IntelliBrite Color LED 120V;Cleaner: KK Racer w/booster.Bench/ledge;limestone Coping; Verona Tile 562 Decking

8. Back To Top    #8

Solar blankets do not "heat" the water. They are an insulating layer to keep any heat from escaping. Any "heating" is done by the sun hitting the water or the cover and transferring to the water.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Solar Blanket Issues

Yes, I totally understand that it is the sun heating the water. So, you are saying it doesn't help it warm up, but only keeps the warmth in? I thought that the sunlight going through the bubbles actually helped to warm the water also.

New pool build in Manor, Texas. 2015. 509 sq. feet; 31'6" x 19'10". Sunshelf & bubbler and waterfall sheer. Gunite inground pool. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump; Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge; Inline chlorination w/UV Sys;Lighting:Pentair IntelliBrite Color LED 120V;Cleaner: KK Racer w/booster.Bench/ledge;limestone Coping; Verona Tile 562 Decking

10. Back To Top    #10

Bubbles are just to keep the cover floating. As long as it floats it's still working fine. The cover retains heat by preventing evaporation.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay. That's good to know. Somehow, I was under the impression that it helped to warm it (utilizing the sun's rays). So, in your opinion, would it be best to uncover during hot day, and cover during cool night to help the pool warm up for the early swim days?
    Our days have been in the 80-s and 90's but our nights are much cooler (60's).

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Jannylee53 View Post
    Okay. That's good to know. Somehow, I was under the impression that it helped to warm it (utilizing the sun's rays). So, in your opinion, would it be best to uncover during hot day, and cover during cool night to help the pool warm up for the early swim days?
    Our days have been in the 80-s and 90's but our nights are much cooler (60's).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a tough question. If it was dead calm and sunny, it might be better to have the cover off for heating. With a breeze, you are probably better with the cover on.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay. Thanks so much for your help!

14. Back To Top    #14

My pool is up to 72 now with the solar cover so I swam Tuesday. Doesn't take long to pull it off swim and drag it back on after.
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

15. Back To Top    #15

The water definitely gets heated on a sunny day with the cover on.

The top 12 or so inches is VERY warm near the end of the day if the pump isn't running.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

16. Back To Top    #16

About 2 seasons is the longest mine last before the bubbles get flat.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Read the fine print on solar cover warranties. Warranty is void if chlorine level is kept above 1ppm and cover must be out of direct sunlight when off the pool. Rule of thumb is, 3 year cover lasts a season. 5 year ones last 3 years. Buy the cheapest you can and replace the moment the cover starts to tear or have bubbles actually come off.