Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test results, wanting to go TFP method but not sure if I'm there yet?

1. Back To Top    #1

First test results, wanting to go TFP method but not sure if I'm there yet?

I just received my TF-100 kit and have my first results.

FC greater than 5 Range only goes to 5 and it is slightly more yellow than 5. I'm guessing 6?
    PH 6.8
    TA 120
    CH 250
    CYA 40
    CH Drop 7.5
    CC 0
    TC greater than 5

I plugged everything into pool math but I'm not sure where to go from here.
    Pool math has a Borate section and says it may affect the ph?

I don't see it covered in my test kit?

My pool water is crystal clear and fine for swimming, no complaints so far.

It appears everything is within acceptable norms except the ph is too low and chlorine is a bit high. I know the chlorine will come down on it's own but I'd like to correct the PH. I just don't want to start pouring stuff into the pool until I am sure what "stuff" and how much should be going in.

Currently, I am using the following to maintain the pool:
    3" Aqua Chem brand Trichloro pucks in a floater
    Aqua Chem brand Shock plus active ingredients are Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione 58.2% and 41.8% other ingredients

This is only my second year with this pool and my first full season. The guy I bought the house from was a chemical engineer and I got the idea that "adjusting" the various chemicals in the pool was a long time hobby of his. In my pool shed, I have a wide array of algaecides, PH modifiers, flocculent and assorted pool chemicals that came with the home.

I have about 1/3rd of a case of the shock and 1/3rd of a 5 gallon bucket of the pucks on hand right now. I also have approximately 2.5#'s of hth brand, ph plus which has an active ingredient of 98% Sodium Carbonate.

My thoughts are to raise the ph with the Sodium Carbonate I already have and continue to use the current pucks and shock until the CYA rose to near 50.

Once I've depleted my current supplies, or the cya hits 50, I plan to follow the trouble free pool method.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on my test results and plans. Should I just switch over now and keep these left over chemicals on the shelf?
    24,000 gal in ground, Gunite, Sand filter, Hayward 140,000 btu heat pump, Pentair Superflow VS, Polaris pool sweep, TF-100 test kit w/speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test results, wanting to go TFP method but not sure if I'm there yet?

Yes, you are ready to start.

Raise the PH to 7.2 with either borax or soda ash/sodium carbonate.

Given the large amounts of chlorine you will be adding, you do not want to use either trichlor or dichlor for chlorine. Either one of them will raise the CYA level way too quickly. Most people around here use either household bleach (no special features or scents) or liquid chlorine (from a pool store but only in some areas).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Yes, you are ready to start.

Raise the PH to 7.2 with either borax or soda ash/sodium carbonate.

Given the large amounts of chlorine you will be adding, you do not want to use either trichlor or dichlor for chlorine. Either one of them will raise the CYA level way too quickly. Most people around here use either household bleach (no special features or scents) or liquid chlorine (from a pool store but only in some areas).
    Right, I'm hoping to ditch the pucks and the shock in the future but was wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to just keep using what I had on hand until the CYA got a little higher. To be honest, I was really relieved to see my CYA so low. I was really concerned it was going to be through the roof as I have been using pucks and shock for last season and so far this season.

What about the Borate? Is that something I should be testing for?
    24,000 gal in ground, Gunite, Sand filter, Hayward 140,000 btu heat pump, Pentair Superflow VS, Polaris pool sweep, TF-100 test kit w/speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

It does not seem like you did the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Although you did report a CC somehow

You CYA is already right in the sweet spot. Not sure you would need to go higher up in WA.

If you have never intentionally added borates, they will be 0.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I just followed the instructions in the kit, I didn't see a mention of the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Is that another name for the chlorine drop test?

I'm in the SE part of Washington which is actually a desert. We get temps in the 100's in July and August and 90's regularly in June and sometimes September. Definitely not Seattle weather here where I live. I'm thinking 40 is a bit low given the heat here. Maybe I'm wrong?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes the chlorine drop test, not the color matching one.

A little higher CYA might be fine, you are just significantly further north than me
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Yes the chlorine drop test, not the color matching one.

A little higher CYA might be fine, you are just significantly further north than me
    Ok, the CH Drop is 7.5.

8. Back To Top    #8

That is called FC and then CC.
    The yellow OTO test is really more a TC number, but no need to report that as we really care about the FC and CC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by TCpoolnoob View Post

Should I just switch over now and keep these left over chemicals on the shelf?
    Yes, sounds like a great time to switch. I admit the first time I dumped normal household bleach (fragrance free) into my pool it felt "off" to me. But I was amazed at how effective and easy it was...I recommend you give it a go.

10. Back To Top    #10

There's really no better time. I'm pretty happy after converting last season.
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to TFP!

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach