Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin Oasis Z5 or DX5+S

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin Oasis Z5 or DX5+S

Hey Folks,

New member here! I finally caved in and decided the buy a robotic pool cleaner and have narrowed it down to 2 units. Everybody seems to recommend the newly released Z5 as it is a custom design that closely resembles the M5 and has a great 3 year warranty to boot. But I also found the updated DX5+S that is sold through PoolSupplyWorld on eBay that seems to almost 1 up the Z5 in most areas. Can you kindly share your thoughts as to which one you think you'd recommend. This is for my 32x16 inground pool with a vinyl liner with a 9 foot deep end and 4 entry steps at the other end. I do get acorns and leafs here in the Northeast.

Z5

+Top Loading Filters
    +3 Year Warranty
    +Comes with Basic Remote and Caddy
    +Great Reviews here on TFP

-No Weekly Timer
    -No Filter Full Indicator
    -Slightly More $ than the DX5+S

DX5+S

+3 Year Warranty
    +Comes with PRO Remote and Caddy
    +Timer Function
    +Filter Full Indicator
    +$150 less than Z5 with all discounts

-Bottom Access to Filters
    -Unknown Quality as few people seem to own this model

Personally, I love the idea of top access filters but would also like the PRO remote and timer function of the DX5+S. The $150 savings is another bonus. Warranty is a wash between the two. I guess my question is where I should choose functionality over filter access. The closest compromise I found is the Triton Plus that seems to almost have the best of both worlds at about the same price but with only a 2 year warranty. The Triton Plus looks to be identical to the Z5 but with a power supply that has more built in functions. Yup, it's definitely like buying a mattress like so many folks here have mentioned.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin Oasis Z5 or DX5+S

I'll make it easy for you. Get the M5/M500, problem solved. I wouldn't trade mine for any of them, and it has them both beat in terms of features and perks. Top loaders are really nice and more easily flexible.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Patrick_B,

Thank you for your reply. I can see you LOVE yours. I was hoping to spend around $1100 USD for mine so I left it off my shortlist. In a perfect world, I'd own 2 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I'll make it easy for you. Get the M5/M500, problem solved. I wouldn't trade mine for any of them, and it has them both beat in terms of features and perks. Top loaders are really nice and more easily flexible.

4. Back To Top    #4

Go for the Z5. You can add the pro remote later for < $150.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Patrick, that is good to know. Thank you for the information. But do you know if you can actually program the Z5 with a timer from the Pro remote? Thanks so much again.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Go for the Z5. You can add the pro remote later for < $150.

6. Back To Top    #6

well what did you end up getting? Im looking at each model as well. Anyone else with DX5 experience?

7. Back To Top    #7

Anyone have experience with the dx5? I'm gonna purchase it or the z5 tomorrow. Thanks
    IG Pebble sheen blue surf approx. 14k gallon, beach entry, 7' spa, 3.5 ton jumping rock/waterfall, Pentair 2hp whisper flo, booster pump, 520 cartridge filter, Stenner Econ T, 400k master temp heater, easy touch controls,TF-100 w/speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the DX5+S and have used it for the last couple of months - it works great, and cleans well. I did use the remote a few times, but find I just drop the robot in the water and let it run. The filters on the bottom are pretty big - but they do say they are full long before they really are, so I do end up cleaning them more often than needed I expect. Removing the filters requires turning the unit on its side.
    2015 Build Link: 15'x30' Rectangle (3'-6", 5', 4' depth) 14,000 Gallon Pool, Finish: Wet Edge Primera Stone Black Kona. TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin DX5+S Robot, Jandy CL460 Filter, VS 2HP pump, AquaPure 1400 SWG, iAqualink2, Automatic Safety Cover. No Heater