When Is It Best To Run Pump

May 4, 2015
Chardon, ohio
I've been running my pool pump pretty much non stop since I've opened. I'm going to try running it a lot less time (like maybe 4-6 hours a day) and see what happens. Water will turn over in 4 hours. Water is crystal clear and water is balanced. Is it best to run the pump at night or during the day with the sun out? Any help would be appreciated. Newbe here. Thanks.

Run it based on price if you have a power company that charges more for peak hours versus non-peak. Early morning or late evening. Also consider when you'll want to check pool chemistry daily. Need the pump to have been running for 30 minutes before sampling to test your water. Turnover is not really something to worry about. Run the pump long enough so that your water is clear and enough to distribute chlorine. My pump runs 5 hours most days. More if I want extra skimming action. If you have a salt water chlorine generator, you may need to run longer depending on output.

Also, please add the details of your pool to your forum signature. To change your profile and/or signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Profile or Edit Signature.

No matter what I do when I put my info in signature it won't display. I've tried it dozens of times and it won't load. Less than 5 lines. Can't figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I get every time I try to fill out my signature

Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.

Trouble Free Pool

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I get every time to try to fill out my signature page

Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.

Trouble Free Pool

I run the pump for 6 hours a day on a timer. I run it usually at night. I also manually run it for testing, adding chemicals and heavy swimmer load.

The OP's question was to run the pump at night or in the day, which is best? I run my pump during the day because the equipment is not far from my neighbors bedroom window and I do not want to disturb them at night. During the summer, night time operation may be easier on the pump because of the heat. I do not know if sunlight plays a factor in helping chlorine do it's job better or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.