Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gross Solar Cover

1. Back To Top    #1
    Harrisonburg, VA

Gross Solar Cover

We opened our pool a few weeks ago and put our solar cover on last weekend. It is now covered with all the tree debris and puddles of water from the rain we've had. We don't have a solar cover reel and even if we did I don't know how you would get it rolled up without dumping all that junk into the pool. It smells like dead fish, it's so gross. I'm beginning to wonder if it's easier to just leave the solar cover off and fight the debris between running the pump and using the pool net to keep it clean. Our pool is located right beside the edge of our wood line so it catches a lot of stuff year round. Because our pool is on the larger side taking the cover on and off is a total PIA. We've talked about building one of the solar cover reels but we've yet to do it.

Thoughts on leaving the cover on or off?
    28ft Doughboy AG 18,000 Gallons installed July 2014 / Pentair SD60 Sand Filter / Baracuda Ranger Vacuum / Pentair Aqualuminator / TF100 Test Kit / Hot Springs Envoy Hot Tub
    My Build: 28 ft Doughboy install w/stamped patio FINALLY complete-LOTS OF PICS :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Wildorado Texas

Re: Gross Solar Cover

Welcome to TFP!

Is it practical or possible to use a power washer to hose off the cover before removing it?

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I got tired of fighting my cover since I don't have a lot of room on the ends. When it started rotting and leaving little blue circles everywhere, I trashed it and haven't bothered since.

I have read of people using the spray nozzle on the garden hose to wash the debris towards the skimmer before pulling the cover.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Bardstown KY

I just asked a question about keeping pools clean in a high debris area. We are surrounded by woods and it's crazy how much junk gets in the pools here! There were several good suggestions with photos shared in that post - maybe they would help you, too. I think it is on the second page of this forum.

We are in the process of building a reel for our solar cover. I know we will need it because we get so much shade.
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit