Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Returns directions ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Returns directions ?

Now that I've noticed I can change the directions on the two returns in my kidney shaped pool, what are the recommended directions to point them? I've attached a photo.

The return at the bottom of the picture is 5' left of the base of the ladder pull, the one at top of picture is 3' right of the light, which is dead center in the top of the picture. Both are 14" below water lever. You can see the skimmer on left side of pool located in the deep end. Deepest area is 5', shallow is 3'.

They are both pointed slightly upwards directly at each other, creating a noticeable swirl on the surface of the water.

thanks

ed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Returns directions ?

I would point them slightly downward and in a direction that would circulate the water either clockwise or counter-clockwise. That way any surface debri will go with the flow towards the skimmer. To check flow, you could toss in a couple handfuls of packing peanuts. They will show you how well your adjustments work.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Returns directions ?

Thanks Propbndr! I'll try that!
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC