Solar Cover Questions

Jul 12, 2013
Middletown, CT
Glad I found this thread. I'm considering the purchase of a solar cover for my 24' round above ground pool. The spring weather has been great, so I uncovered early. We've gotten some use out of the pool on some mid-80 degree farhenheit days where the water hit 81 degrees. But the nights are still cool and the water temp typically hangs out in the low to mid 70's. Also, the helicopters from the maple trees are the enemy right now!

So-

Will a solar be effective in warming the water warmer than the 80 degree mark? I'm looking at a crystal clear 16mil

What type of effect can I expect on my water levels? I have a puck fed in-line chlorinator that keeps me consistently watching my FC, CYA and pH.

Is it effective in keeping dibris out of the pool water? My skimmer is overflowing and clogging with helicopters from the maple trees.

I'm assuming you can run the pump with the cover on?

Cover at night, open during the day? Vice Versa? Or keep covered at all times when not using the pool?

Thanks in advance- Any info is appreciated!

Steve

Re: Solar Cover Question

A solar cover works best to retain the heat gained during the day. Always try to cover at night if you're trying to gain as much heat as possible.
Sun shining into the water heats the water best but having a clear cover is next best thing to removing it each sunny day.
My cover does help control evaporation and it seems to use less chlorine when it's covered.
I run the pump all the time with the cover on, no problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.