Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help opening pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help opening pool

We opened the pool on 5/9 and put algaeside in it bc it looked like a swamp. Then we shocked for about 5 days Granular 56. At this point we could see the bottom in shallow end but not deep end. Phosphates measured around 500 so we put in a bottle of phos remover. Got better. Again, can still see the bottom of shallow end but deep end (8ft deep) is solid dark teal/green to the drain. The sides are slightly visible and I can see what to brush. Phos is barely blue now so we shocked this morning with Granular 56.

We are considering to floc tonight but before we do I wanted to get advice from this forum. I've read many threads but am still confused. I've seen the ABC's of pool chemistry, the shocking procedure, etc.

Here's are numbers as of this morning. Our pool is 32,000 gallons, inground vinyl liner, and we live in Central Illinois (around many farm fields).

300 - cal hardness
    3 - chlorine
    0 - free chlorine
    6.8 - PH
    120 -
    10-20 - cya

Would appreciate any advice before tonight when we do more.

Oh I should ad that the pool store said to put phosphate remover in until it's clear or chlorine won't hold. Then another pool person said to disregard that. I'm so confused.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help opening pool

With all due respect ..... follow the advice on this site not the pool store - specifically the ABC Pool Chemistry and SLAM procedures. Find a good place to stock-up on regular liquid bleach and be prepared for the posts forthcoming from site moderators who really know their stuff. All that chemical junk at the pool store is a waste and will only frustrate you and drain your checkbook. Also, make sure you update your signature with your pool info like you have probably seen on other posts. It helps tremendously.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! Texas Splash is correct.

What test kit do you have? If you have the pool store test your water, you really need to ditch that. Invest in a recommended test kit and you will see how easy it is to maintain your own pool.

Based on the numbers you posted I will tell you that PH and CYA are too low, but I don't know where you got the numbers to know if they are from a reliable test kit.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

I use the aqua check 7-way test strips.

5. Back To Top    #5

We've never had any luck shocking with liquid shock. Sometimes we've even put in 20 gallons in 24 hours. It's so frustrating. This year we haven't even tried to use liquid shock for this reason. Dichlor shock has been the only thing that's turned the pool around for us in the past. Help!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

You really need to invest in a recommended test kit. I love the TF 100 linked in my signature. As for LC, I promise you LC or household bleach is all you need to keep your FC in check.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

Read the Test Kit Comparison and get one of the recommended test kits. I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

The most important part is to keep your chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart. Allowing FC to drop below the min will let algae start growing.

The next most important part is to keep your PH between 7.2 and 7.8. See links below on how to adjust it.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you! At this point I'm willing to try anything! And if you promise, well then I shall try. So a 32,000 gallon pool with my readings, what do you recommend? I do have a Taylor kit I just bought but it intimidated me so I was going to return it. Perhaps I'll try it anyway. I can't test it till later tonight thought. Assuming all is correct from my readings how much shock should I put in?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Is it the Taylor K 2006 that you have?

- - - Updated - - -

You also do not want to put any shock in the pool. We use bleach and liquid chlorine here. Have you read through the ABC's of pool water chemistry in Pool School?
    Lisa

10. Back To Top    #10

K-2006 is the kit I have at home.

To shock the pool I use Pool Pride Granular 56. Is that bad? Why do you say not to use shock?

11. Back To Top    #11

"Shock" can be a noun or a verb for us. You can "use" a type of shock (liquid or granular) product, or some people refer to over-chlorinating as "shocking: your pool. In TPF you'll see the term "SLAM" used most frequently when super-chlorinating and for good reason - it works! Also, a lot of the pool store granular shocks have additives (i.e. stabilizers) that can mess-up your chemistry. Liquid shock (common household bleach) is a great sanitizer with virtually no side effects to your chemistry.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Great! Do not let the test intimidate you. We are here to help if you get confused!
    Lisa

13. Back To Top    #13

The pool is turning blue but still dark in deep end. We will shock with chlorine bleach.

The PH is low (6.8) and I'm wondering if I should increase the PH or shock or both?

Another question...on a maintenance basis what product do you recommend I shock with? Typically we've used Dichlor but CYA gets really high.

Thanks for all the help!!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Lroberts32 View Post
    The pool is turning blue but still dark in deep end. We will shock with chlorine bleach.

The PH is low (6.8) and I'm wondering if I should increase the PH or shock or both?

Another question...on a maintenance basis what product do you recommend I shock with? Typically we've used Dichlor but CYA gets really high.

Thanks for all the help!!
    If your FC is currently below 10 then I would raise your PH now. As for regular chlorination we recommend bleach or liquid chlorine.
    Lisa

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm still at 0 FC. Should I add PH before or after I shock tonight? Or at the same time?

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

You can try to get the PH up now. Just target 7.2 for PH
    Lisa

17. Back To Top    #17

I used the Taylor test kit and the CYA is above 100 (probably because we've been shocking with dichlor) and PH is 6.8 or maybe alittle lower. FC is 1.2 and CC is 25.

According to the chart to get to shock level in my 32,000 gallon pool we have to use upwards of 20 gallons of chlorine. Seems scary. Is this correct?

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm in same boat as you - my CYA is upwards of 300+ though. Chlorine just isn't as effective at that level. Only way to fix that is to do a drain/refill or use the massive amounts of Chlorine as you said. Of course, using that much Chlorine makes the pool unsafe to swim in. So, at this point you may consider doing a drain/refill to get your CYA levels in line.
    22,000 Gal IG Plaster, 1.5 HP Jandy Single Speed
    DE 48 Filter, Polaris 360 Automatic Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Lroberts32 View Post
    I used the Taylor test kit and the CYA is above 100 (probably because we've been shocking with dichlor) and PH is 6.8 or maybe alittle lower. FC is 1.2 and CC is 25.

According to the chart to get to shock level in my 32,000 gallon pool we have to use upwards of 20 gallons of chlorine. Seems scary. Is this correct?
    You will need to bring the CYA down. To do this you have to do partial drains and refills. Get the PH raised to 7.2 add bleach to bring FC level up. Don't take it to SLAM level yet until your PH is 7.2

- - - Updated - - -

Also can you post a full set of results so we can see what all your numbers are?
    Lisa

20. Back To Top    #20

My pool store told me to raise the PH then floc tonight. What are your thoughts on this?

Here's my numbers today

300 - cal hardness
    5 - combined chlorine
    1.2 - free chlorine
    6.8 - PH
    120 - alkalinity
    100+ - cya

Also, why does the test strip show no free chlorine but the taylor kit does show FC?

Help, I'm going crazy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast