More shocking after winter closing?

Water_man

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Brookline, MA
I still remember the trauma of opening a "green pool" in the beginning of the 2008 season. Well, it wasn’t exactly a "trauma", but it wasn't the best pool experience, to say the least.

It happened because snow and rain over-filled the pool above the winter cover and in early spring the leaves on the top started the algae bloom.

I prepared a counter - measure by immersing two pumps in the pool. If and when I notice water reaching the cover I'll pump it out.

Nevertheless, I wonder if it makes sense to continue to monitor the FC level and to shock if necessary. In order to get circulation I'd use the pumps returns (garden hoses) and I am also considering leaving my robotic cleaner inside, to aid in circulation.
My pool closing shock level was 26 ppm (CYA = 60).
Any comments? Would leaves and organic debris that may accumulate in the robotic cleaner start an algae bloom?

Water_man said:
Would leaves and organic debris that may accumulate in the robotic cleaner start an algae bloom?
Yes. The little bit of chlorine that might have made it thought the winter will get used up really fast trying to clean the leaves, and then the algae can take hold.

Does your pool not freeze? I see you are in Mass... Can you open a little earlier (while the water is colder) and get the junk out of there?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.