Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Build in Upstate NY

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build in Upstate NY

We started our pool last Fall, took a long winter break, and are just getting finished. My pool builder has opened, but I don't know that he's entirely finished with me yet.

Here are my latest test results using a Taylor K-2006

FC = 4
    CC < .5
    PH = 7.7
    TA = 170
    CH = 160
    CYA estimated at 40 (PB put in 5 lbs of stabilizer Friday so I'm guessing based on pool math)

Do I need to be concerned about the high TA? I figure that since I have a SWG I will eventually be need to add acid anyway, so is it okay to let it come down on its own?

Here's what it looked like last Thursday

Thanks for this great site!
    Dan

18x36, 21,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl, Pentair SWG, DE filter, Pentair 250K Heater, Taylor K-2006, Dolphin Triton

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New Pool Build in Upstate NY

Looks great! As you know TA is high. What you will need to do is add acid to bring PH down to 7.2 which will also lower TA some. Let PH rise back up through aeration to around 7.8-8.2 and then add acid again. Since you have a SWG I would re test CYA on Friday or Saturday, then add enough Stablizer to get it up to around 70-75. Best way to add granular Stablizer is to put it in a sock and tie it shut then set it in the top of your skimmer to dissolve. It will dissolve quicker if you queeze the sock a few times a day. Then test CYA a week later and see if it is where it needs to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Lowering TA can take a few weeks.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice looking set-up you have their Dan.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone know if alkalinity is high based on fill water? Unfortunately I don't know exactly what the pool builder put in the water other than salt and stabilizer. I do know that he added liquid chlorine when the pump and filter first got running - but that was quickly consumed because it was added before there was any stabilizer in the water.

18x36, 21,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl, Pentair SWG, DE filter, Pentair 250K Heater, Taylor K-2006, Dolphin Triton

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

It very well could be. I have high TA in my fill water.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Perhaps I'll just run the alkalinity test on my tap water to satisfy my own curiosity.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Nice looking set-up you have their Dan.
    Thanks! It's still a work in progress. Fence should be in this week. From there it'll be a summer of landscaping projects for me!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by DanielJ View Post
    Perhaps I'll just run the alkalinity test on my tap water to satisfy my own curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good idea. My fill water is 230.
    Lisa