Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Still have a bit of iron at waterline ...

1. Back To Top    #1

Still have a bit of iron at waterline ...

So, about 3 years ago, I screwed up and refilled in ground unite pool from the wrong hose ...yeah, the one not connected to the water treatment system that remove iron and metals ...pretty quickly got an iron waterline stain.

I used ascorbic acid it in 2 pound bags ...still seemed expensive, but way less so than buying s "special" product. It pulled most of the stain off the wall, but I still have some staining ...a bit less each year, I guess as the water ratio has changed as I have not reintroduced any untreated well water.

Given where I am, how best to continue to work on the staining? More ascorbic acid? Is there a special device that one can load ascorbic acid into and scrub the line?

Thanks and happy pool season to everyone!

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Still have a bit of iron at waterline ...

If I was faced with that, I think I'd let the water level drop an inch or so to expose the rust and mix up a paste of ascorbic acid and smear it on the rust. Use a spray bottle to mist it and keep it damp and let it work. Then use a sponge and a bucket to wipe it off and rinse the sponge to keep as much of it out of the pool as possible. Then fill the pool back up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I buy a bottle of vitamin C pills...put them in a thin sock and wipe off my steps which works pretty good. A sequestrant wouldn't hurt. I use it every couple of weeks to keep the stains in check.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks ...will take a look at how bad it is once water is cleared up a bit better ...filter pulp just back on and running chlorine up a bit now.