Can I use stainless hardware to use as a keeper for my pool liner that is loose.

This may sound odd. I'm trying to save this liner and my pool.

Problem started last year just after we purchased the home. While swimming in the pool the top of the liner separated from the wall and fell into the pool, which in turn caused a big expensive mess. The liner was a few months old, and we're guessing it wasn't put in quite right.

Currently the liner is loose all the way around the pool, its being held in the channel with a insert that goes all the way around the pool. My problem is I don't trust that insert or wedge (whatever its called). I'm trying to avoid what happened last year.

I've read about using boiling hot water to shrink the liner, it may work but I'd still be worried about the liner unhooking during heavy splashing or jumping into the pool.

Would it be ok to secure the top of the liner where it hooks over with small stainless nuts and round head screws (10-32)? Just as keepers so the liner can't unhook....one per top cap section, 24 total. I already installed two where the liner is really loose. These small nuts, machine screws & washers are not holding the liner up in any way, just keeping it in place when the kids decide to do a cannon ball into the pool.

I can take a pic if needed.

The area I was thinking about hardly sees water except when its splashed up the sides. I'm not worried about how it will look, just want it to work.

Is this a terrible idea or will it work ok for now?

I really thing pics would be best for this one.

I am guessing you do not have an overlap liner-it does not go over the edge of the wall?

If it the kind of liner I think it is you can put pennies or Popsicle sticks in the liner holder to keep it snug. I have liner lock in mine. I do have to go around every once in a while to push it back down and to clean that part of the pool.

Post some pics. and we can go from there.

I do worry that the stainless hardware will start to rust and THAT would be a big mess. AND you would have to drill into your pool walls.

Kim

It sounds like you have a beaded liner and have used liner-lock to hold the bead in the bead receiver. The liner lock works well and I'd think long and hard before drilling the wall and installing any kind of fasteners. Most readily accessible stainless steel fasteners are either 302 or 304 and they will rust and corrode in the presence of chlorinated pool water.

However, if you want to continue and use the screws, I'd suggest finding some 316 or 316L fasteners and I'd find some 1/8" X 1" stainless flat bar and use it on the inside as a clamping device.

Didn't get a change to photo the pool today, but will try tomorrow. Yes my pool has the kind of latch where you can jam pennies in there to stop it from floating loose. And I did have about $6 worth of pennies jammed around it before using the liner lock (I believe the pennies held better). The pennies were corroding a little which is why I am using the liner lock.

You guys say its a bad idea to drill the top part of the wall. Can you add what problems that may cause?

I understand regular stainless hardware from lowes isn't pure stainless, thanks for reminding me about the 316L. I'll check on ebay or where ever for the better stainless. Other than the corrosion issue (which the 316 hardware should take care of), what else may I be missing? These holes are at the very top of the liner where the hard plastic hook on the liner is. From the outside of the pool the nuts can't be seen due to the top cap. Also these are very small holes, 10-32 screws with little washers. One fastener per top section, 24 sections around 30' of pool.

We have been using the pool with caution not to jump around too much, Im worried something will happen while I'm not there and we'll end up losing the pool. The wife and kids are just about ready to use the pool full time when school is out for summer, which gives me about 2 weeks to figure out a worry free fix.

Drilling holes into something that is made to hold water..............I worry about rust, corrosion, loss of wall support.

YOU have to weigh the pros and cons. I wonder if you could double up with the liner lock? The safety of your family over anything else is what matters. You and I both know the kids are going to jump and splash. Do what will keep them safe!

Kim

While most likely nothing will happen, the holes could cause the wall to rip and fail. Other than that, corrosion of the hole where you drill and expose bare metal could be a problem. If I were going to drill a hole into the wall, I'd paint it with good paint just after drilling it to prevent possibility of corrosion. And even that's not a guarantee.

Drilling holes into something that is made to hold water..............I worry about rust, corrosion, loss of wall support.

YOU have to weigh the pros and cons. I wonder if you could double up with the liner lock? The safety of your family over anything else is what matters. You and I both know the kids are going to jump and splash. Do what will keep them safe!

Kim

Well, keeping the kids safe means screwing the liner to the wall. We had the liner fall last year and it could have been a disaster if the kids were in the pool. I was in there when it happened and the current almost pulled me thru the bottom of the wall.

As far as a 10-32 hole around the top of the pool, it has no effect on wall support. Now you may be right if the holes start to corrode and get bigger.

There is not enough room to double up on the liner lock. The current liner lock will stay, I want to drill thru that as well.

I did find 316 stainless hardware at boltdepot.com for about $20 for everything I need.

The pool is over 10 years old now, if I can muster another 5 out of it i'll be happy. Its a shame the PO of the home couldn't install a liner right, wouldn't have this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

While most likely nothing will happen, the holes could cause the wall to rip and fail. Other than that, corrosion of the hole where you drill and expose bare metal could be a problem. If I were going to drill a hole into the wall, I'd paint it with good paint just after drilling it to prevent possibility of corrosion. And even that's not a guarantee.

Good idea, maybe some rust preventer.
thanks!

Not all liner beads are the same. There are a couple of manufacturers that use a specific to them bead. If so possibly the liner is not for the bead receiver you have.

You might be right. I wouldn't be surprised looking at other things the previous owners did around the house and yard.

The mistake I can see with the liner is the walls of the pool and liner don't match. Or, there is too much sand under the liner making it loose at the bead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.