First (and last) SLAM Completed - My Thoughts and Advice

Jeffc2112

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2015
Katy, TX
Long story short, bad pool store advice had me keeping my FC at 1-3 with pucks (adding CYA in the process), with me allowing it to go to zero, not knowing any better. Enter Algae, more pool store bad advice, lots of money spent on quick fixes, and constantly clogging cartridge filters for a year! I literally was about to call Hayward to have them take the whole filter system apart looking for a mysterious clog, because the store and 5 pool "Pro's" onsite couldn't tell me why they were constantly clogging. Found TFP, one post (literally), and I had my answer, finally!

I read as much as I could in the next week waiting for my TF-100 test kit, lowering pH, and draining to get my CYA down to start the SLAM. My CYA was way over 100 when I started, but got it to a barely acceptable 85. Once the SLAM started, I was maniacal about my FC shock level of 35 during the SLAM, and saw slow progress in the first week. The second week I was close to done, but when I took my lights out to clean them and the light housing, that made the difference, the SLAM was done in the next day or two (thanks DaninFLA and bdex for the assurance that I won't get "shock"ed). There was green, nasty, mucky water in there, but the rest of the pool seemed clear.

Parting thoughts, the SLAM works, but hit it early and hit it hard. Test, add, test, add, - as often as possible to keep that shock level. If you miss a day or even a few hours you're wasting time, bleach, patience, and potential swimming days. Stock up on bleach beforehand (4x what you need to get to shock level to start) clean out as much debris as you can, clean the filter as much as needed (when psi increases 25%), and keep the faith. When you have questions ask, but make sure you're being a good TFP'er by reading the recommended starter articles, adding the requested detail in your signature, and posting results from a recommended kit.

Thanks to all for your TFP advice, I'm confident now that I know what to do, or where to ask. And that will not be Leslie's or Texsun, our local pool stores, they did more harm than good, not out of malice, but because that's what they're taught (and how they stay in business). The answers are here...

Here's my SLAM thread and some pics, pre and post. (http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/91829-First-SLAM-Prep-Ready-to-get-this-Algae!)

Swim on,
Jeff

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 44
  • May 2015 287.jpg
    May 2015 287.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 43
  • May 10th - 2.jpg
    May 10th - 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 42
  • May 10th - 3.jpg
    May 10th - 3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 43
  • May 10th - 1.jpg
    May 10th - 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 45
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.