New with pool, Going to have lots of questions.

May 18, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Closing on new house with pool in 2 weeks. I have already been reading some on here and noticed today that pressure seems a little high on pump. Was reading 22 and inspector back washed it for about a minute and it dropped to 20. The water was a little dirty for about 15 seconds of that flush before turning clear. The dial indicates a pressure between 20 and 30. Does this mean my pump setup will be normal at a 20 reading and I should flush it when it gets near the 30 mark?

Here are some pics of the setup. Its a 34x18 in-ground pool with a liner. Converted to saltwater last year and also a heater was added at that time. Pool water was very clear and nice looking today, didn't get a pic of that. Lots of equipment to learn to use. Pretty sure all the manuals are online but any advice is welcomed. I haven't ordered a test kit yet, need to pronto.

Not sure if the seller is running the system on the timer as the times weren't set correctly. Should I be running it all the time?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

20psi may in fact be your clean pressure (I would do a better backwash and maybe even Deep Clean your Sand Filter to get a good clean pressure), but ignore those marks on the dial. We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure, so appears would be around 25psi for you.

Definitely get one of the Recommended Test Kits on order ASAP. The TF-100 is the best deal for what you get, add the SpeedStir from tftestkits.net and get free shipping.

You most certainly do not need to run the pump all the time. Usually 4-6 hours is plenty. See: Determine Pump Run Time

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

I'll jump in and say it looks like whoever did the plumbing thought ahead. I see unions on the plumbing lines that will make it easier to service the equipment should it ever need it.

Once you close, moving will be hectic and you will be up to your eyeballs in projects and stuff to do. Remember, you pool is a living part of your household. You will need to feed and care for it every day - even when you are busy.

Order your test kit now and put it where you will be able to find it easily. It may be hard to do but try to set aside an hour the afternoon of closing to run a full set of water tests and post them here. Someone here will point you in the right direction of what to doi, even if it is only a holding pattern until your schedule slows and you have time to devote to the pool. With the warmer weather it can go from clear to green quickly.

PLEASE do NOT buy anything the pool store tells you to buy! Pretty please!

Post their test results here and we will guide you from there.

If you want to do something for your soon to be pool you can check for YOUR best price for bleach/chlorine. For some it is Walmart's great value plain bleach, for some it is chlorine using the pool store jugs from the pool store (the ONLY thing you are "allowed" LOL to buy/get from them), for me it is from my local Ace Hardware up the road.

Make sure to check the % on the bottle. If it not marked it is not good as most of those are 3% or so.

Walmart=8%, most pool stores=11%.

Do not get from Lowes or such as most of the time it has been sitting for a while so lost some of it's punch.

Kim

Finally got house closed. This water sample was taking last evening around 8pm before sunset.

Test kit is the TF-100

NaCl = 3200-3400 last 2 drops went in too fast.
Cl = 3
pH = 7.5
TA. = 50
CYA = filled tube up and could still see black circle faintly ????
Ca. = 150-175 was swirling and put 2 drops in fast.

Thanks for any help!

Pools looks good but not sure about some numbers.

Now you can get started! Please fill out your siggy. Here is a link to show to do it. You will need a tape measurer to do this.

Pool School - Getting Started

Next find out how many gallons your pool is. Use this link to do that.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html Towards the bottom of the page is an area for estimating pool volume. You will need to enter two separate sets of dimensions for your pool and spa and then add the two volumes.

Next find out how much CYA you need using the above pool math.

Let me know if when you have done this! We will move to the next step!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now go to Walmart and get some CYA. It is called stabilizer.

Use pool math to find out how much you need. Hang it in front of your return in a sock. You can squeeze it to help speed up the process. As soon as you put the CYA act as if it is already in your water when you dose for FC and such. It will take about a week for the CYA to show up on your test.

What kind of pool tools do you have?

Kim

Finally got moved in and have had 4 days of rain. Pool has a slight green tint!

I'm posting a picture of pool of someone can help me figure exactly what size and gallons it is? Also if not to much troubl what exactly should my levels be? I can probably figure that if get pool volume. Realtor said 28kgal.

NaCl. = 3000
CYA = 44
TA = 50
Ca = 100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.