Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bought a Taylor 100 test kit with Auto Stirrer and am a bit Intimidated!

1. Back To Top    #1

Bought a Taylor 100 test kit with Auto Stirrer and am a bit Intimidated!

So I was having issues with my pool. Very cloudy etc. I finally got all of that cleared up, but in the process I purchased a Taylor 100 kit (as suggested) with the auto stir. Well it arrived today. I am a bit intimidated. Any suggestions?
    21,120 Gallons / AG Doughboy that is sunk into the ground / Steel walls
    Sand Filter (Tagelus - Model TA-40/400) / 1 speed Pentair 1.0 HP Pump Model # SF-N1-1A/340038
    10/2013 - Install / TF-100 w/ Speed Stir / Automatic Chlorination / Pool filled using city water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bought a Taylor 100 test kit with Auto Stirrer and am a bit Intimidated!

I was too when I saw my kit for the first time. I watched a couple of youtube videos on testing with the kit and after I did my first test I realized it was no big deal. Speedstir is really convenient! I also picked up one of the sample sizer things. That's a handy tool for quickly and accurately obtaining 10 and 25 ml samples perfectly every time. I've been keeping a spreadsheet of my values and adjustments so I can see trends. I suspect that in a few more weeks I won't even need my spreadsheet as it is already becoming a routine.
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in 70s, has 8 deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Once you get hands on, it is much less intimidating.
    Here you can find Extended Test Instructions
    And like was mentioned, on tftestkits.net there is a link to YouTube videos of most of the tests.

BTW, the kit is a TF-100 ... it is not a Taylor kit per se (like the K-2006), but it is made up of Taylor reagents.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone! I will check out the videos. I also updated my signature to show it was TF-100! Thanks!
    Sand Filter (Tagelus - Model TA-40/400) / 1 speed Pentair 1.0 HP Pump Model # SF-N1-1A/340038
    10/2013 - Install / TF-100 w/ Speed Stir / Automatic Chlorination / Pool filled using city water

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

A look at the videos helps most folks.

After that, simply doing the tests will relieve most of your anxiety. Get your laminated instruction card and start on the front side with the daily tests......that's a chip shot.

Then flip the card and start on the "weekly" tests doing them one at a time. The plan I like is to get a sample of pool water (maybe 8 oz) of pool water and come inside at a kitchen table where you can sit and perform the tests.

Rinse and dumping the chemistry down the sink is fine. They are so dilute there is nothing harmful.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

You're happening now!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I too was so intimidated when I opened that thing I cried...thinking I'm not a chemist, I'll never understand this....pssst...few days later I was a testing fool!!! Love love love it!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

8. Back To Top    #8

This is a fantastic idea! I was so flustered kneeling down by the side of the pool. Hah! Why didn't I think of just taking it inside in a nice cool environment!?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone. Watching up on videos now. Will get out there tomorrow and try and tackle this. My fears have dropped considerably! A chemist I am not!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bhmhrex View Post
    This is a fantastic idea! I was so flustered kneeling down by the side of the pool. Hah! Why didn't I think of just taking it inside in a nice cool environment!?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone. Watching up on videos now. Will get out there tomorrow and try and tackle this. My fears have dropped considerably! A chemist I am not!
    Somewhere around the end of June I'm going to dredge up this thread to remind you of it. You'll just laugh and laugh and laugh at how worried you were over nothing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!