High CYA after draining pool

sjx

May 18, 2015
Austin Texas
This is my second post. I hijacked another post titled High CYA in new pool by albel1214. Sorry, didn't read enough of the rules, I'll try again.

I drained my pool mid June last year because of high CYA and got it down to the 30-50 range (depending on who tested). I had no problems last year, water tested ok.

Last month, started having algae control problems and FC staying high after shocking too long--the high CYA symptoms. Tested CYA 10 days ago and it was out of range. Took to Leslie's, they got 70 ppm, I know that was wrong. Took back two days ago and they got 120. I rigged a test today (didn't have the full amount) and got about 200 ppm (diluted sample read 100).

People at Leslie's said I have build-up of CYA in my pipes and it leached back into the water after I refilled my pool. This doesn't seem right to me because testing look so good all last year through October. Has anyone hear of this build up?

I want to drain again, but if there is build up, I'll beright back at the same place.

Thanks,

This is my second post. I hijacked another post titled High CYA in new pool by albel1214. Sorry, didn't read enough of the rules, I'll try again.

I drained my pool mid June last year because of high CYA and got it down to the 30-50 range (depending on who tested). I had no problems last year, water tested ok.

Last month, started having algae control problems and FC staying high after shocking too long--the high CYA symptoms. Tested CYA 10 days ago and it was out of range. Took to Leslie's, they got 70 ppm, I know that was wrong. Took back two days ago and they got 120. I rigged a test today (didn't have the full amount) and got about 200 ppm (diluted sample read 100).

People at Leslie's said I have build-up of CYA in my pipes and it leached back into the water after I refilled my pool. This doesn't seem right to me because testing look so good all last year through October. Has anyone hear of this build up?

I want to drain again, but if there is build up, I'll beright back at the same place.

Thanks,
Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

CYA doesn't build up in your pipes, it enters your water with every puck you put in your Rainbow 320 chlorinater. Each puck is almost half CYA

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.