High CYA in new Pool

kyjake

May 18, 2015
port charlotte,fl
Bought our house about six month's ago with a pool that had been kept for years with tablets in a float with the pump timed to run four hours a day.Pool store testing says i have too much stabilizer and should do a partial drain which I plan to do slowly as the summer rains progress.Sounds like my problem with maintaining chlorine is CYA.Have been maintaining chlorine levels with liquid chlorine without too much of a problem until we got a rainstorm which put three inches of water in the pool after which I would add from 1 pint to 1 quart of chlorine to the pool when pump started,about noon the lever would from 2-4 ppm but the next morning no chlorine.Two days ago I added two gallon 10% chlorine and ran the pump for 28 hours.PH was 8 so added 18 oz muratic acid which brought the ph to 7.5. with the chlorine off the 5 ppm poolmaster test kit.Test kit says my ph is 8+ put with my ph meter set with proper solution and tap water testing normal i bolieve it instead of the test kit.
I have had experience in managing water quallity in a cooling tower and thought the pool would be easy but finding it somewhat complicated.This site has been a big help in managing my pool.

Moderator note, this was split out from this threadhttp://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/93742-High-CYA-in-new-Pool

Am new at this and it is hard for me to answer questions from my own knowledge.I just did testing with my Poolmaster test kit with free chlorine 5ppm +-Ph 7.5 [with meter] and alkalinity being 90.had test done about April 1 ,lost test paper but they said cya levels were high and needed to do a couple partial drainage.Three days later had another pool store do a test which I still have with nothing out of range but a ph of 8.0 but suggester I do 1 1/2 gallon chlorine and 4 cups acid.Pool has been staying clear after clearing up some algae back in April.Had a lot of floating bugs lately after the big rain drowned the skimmer but have been getting rid of them with the scoop,pool got low enough today for the skimmer to work and they are all gone
Have spent quite a bit of time reading post and stickies on the forum which are helpful.Looking into getting a Taylor test kit soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.