Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FC is 0, CYA is 0 -- Oops!!

1. Back To Top    #1

FC is 0, CYA is 0 -- Oops!!

We have a 16x32 IG pool with a SWG that has been completed for about a year. I've been letting my husband handle all of the chemistry and maintenance, and come to find out, he hasn't done much. He has been adding salt and acid when needed, but never anything else (he has NEVER, not even once, added stabilizer). It's a large pool that gets 100% sunlight in the heat of Southeast Louisiana and is open year round. Not surprisingly, our FC and CYA are now next to nothing. I've been researching and reading ever since I discovered these issues, and I'm in the process of getting everything where it should be. As of today, salt is 3,000 ppm, PH is 7.8.

My question is this: what do I tackle first? Do I add bleach to bring the chlorine up, then CYA? Do I add CYA and then let the SWG chlorinate? Do I run a "chlorine boost" on the SWG after adding the CYA? I'm obviously very new to all of this, but I'm ready to take the first step towards getting the pool properly balanced. I've ordered a Taylor K-2006 test kit (currently using dip strips and Pentair Rainbow 2-in-1 test kit), and it should be here in a couple of days. I can bring a water sample to a local pool store as soon as tomorrow morning if needed.

Please advise on what my first step should be while I continue to educate myself on proper pool maintenance. Thanks in advance!
    16x32 rectangular gunite, 20k gal, plaster (4.0-6.5 ft), Granite coping, Sundek deck
    Jandy CV340 cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2.0HP (variable), Fusion Soft 1400 SWG, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner
    2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 3 returns, raised wall with 72" sheer descent
    Build completed July 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC is 0, CYA is 0 -- Oops!!

The SWG will be too slow, get some chlorine in there ASAP. I would not trust CYA reading from test strips or a pool store.

Wait a couple of days until you get your test kit to add CYA. Remember, it's easy to add, difficult to remove.....

Keep testing and "assisting" the SWG with liquid chlorine. The more you use the boost mode the more you shorten the life of the SWG.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Start raising CYA now, but don't raise it all the way at once. CYA is easy to raise, difficult to lower, so sneak up on it in two or three steps, rather than going all the way at once and risk overshooting.

Add 2 ppm of chlorine manually this evening.

As soon as you get your kit, please post a complete set of water test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Good for you for taking care of the pool the correct way--------TFP and a good test kit.

For right now add bleach each day and brush.

As soon as your test kit gets there let us know and we can run you through the tests.

Don't bother going to the pool store. They will just try to sell you stuff after there "free" test.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Just adding, the advice above is as good as it gets. You are in good hands!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much everyone! The test kit will be here tomorrow, and we added bleach per poolmath last night. We're up to safe levels of FC and will add stabilizer once the kit gets here.

I don't know how much it's worth, but these are the results we got from the dip strips and current test kit this morning.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    16x32 rectangular gunite, 20k gal, plaster (4.0-6.5 ft), Granite coping, Sundek deck
    Jandy CV340 cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2.0HP (variable), Fusion Soft 1400 SWG, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

The tests at the bottom are OK as long as you are in range. Looks like you r pH is a little high so you could bring that down a tad.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

I see that your PH is high. Do you have any muratic acid? If not please go get some. Make sure it is the 31%.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

We have plenty of acid and were going to add some this evening once the rain stops. Poolmath says we should add 30 ounces of MA to drop the pH to 7.5, but we regularly add an entire gallon and don't see that much of a change. Thoughts? Should we just add the 30 ounces first and then recheck before adding more?

I can't wait to get my test kit in tomorrow and be able to see where we REALLY are with all this.

10. Back To Top    #10

My guess is that your PH is SOOOOOOOOOO high you have not dropped enough to really test it and know how high it really is.

Test, add, run pump for 30 mins. retest, add, run pump 30 mins. Do and redo until you see it change.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Kim

11. Back To Top    #11

This is how it went down.

Hubby said he didn't feel comfortable with me handling the acid and that he would take care of it. I explained that we would add 30 ounces per poolmath now and recheck every 30 minutes as needed. He went out there and added the entire bottle anyway, saying that he's added that much before and it's never gotten too low. Well here's where we are now.
    image.jpg

Needless to say, he got more than just an "I told you so". Nobody adds chemicals but me from now on. Chlorine has been kept up, pH is the disaster that it is, it's been raining all afternoon and getting worse, so hopefully we'll get a little dilution from that (pH-wise), and unless you all say otherwise, we will be doing NOTHING else to this pool until I can post full test results when my test arrives tomorrow

12. Back To Top    #12

The only plus side here is that we have been having a bit of scale buildup on the waterline tiles (really noticable, as they're black tiles), so perhaps this highly acidic water will help to lighten that a bit (I've already ordered 2 cases of pumice stones to remove it manually - just waiting for a couple of free days and a few more hands). But that's another post for another time.

13. Back To Top    #13

Hubby, Hubby, Hubby no more help please. LOL

Kim (all my hubby is allowed to do is swim and brush)

14. Back To Top    #14

It may bounce back depending on the TA. I wouldn't try to bring the pH back up just yet. Wait to see where TA is.
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok, it's here! Testing with a Taylor K-2006, my results are as follows:

FC 3.4
    CC 0.2
    pH 7.0
    TA 500 ppm
    CH 210
    CYA <30

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm really questioning that TA. I did the test carefully and wrote it down right away, but now I'm not so sure. Will retest and see where we are.

17. Back To Top    #17

TA is 50. Must have written it down wrong. Phew!

So we're here:
    FC 3.4
    CC 0.2
    pH 7.0
    TA 50
    CH 210
    CYA <30

18. Back To Top    #18

Looks like a bit of Borax is in order
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

19. Back To Top    #19

Does it matter when I add the borax in relation to when I start trying to raise the CYA? Can I do that at the same time?

20. Back To Top    #20

Nope, doesn't matter, carry on. Yes, you can do that at the same time.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast