Very high ph water supply

giltyler

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Argyle, TX
We will be putting up a 21' AGP soon and I know from the INTEX pools I have had before that my local (RURAL) water supply is well water.
The PH was always very high and I need to know if there is any way to lower it when we fill the pool.
The new pool will be approximately 11,000 gallons.
Is there a safe way to add muriatic acid to a vinyl lined pool other than mixing a few cups at a time in a bucket full of water(Leslies Recommendation)

Fixing pH while filling would be difficult. You'd need to know pH and TA - which is pretty easy - and you also need to know how much water is in there when you add acid. And within a few minutes of adding, the volume has changed already.

Still, diluting the acid and dribbling it into the hose stream should get it mixed pretty good, and swishing it around immediately with the brush should get it spread out good. You probably also suffer from high Total Alkalinity, which is lowered by acid and aeration. That you can start on by setting the filler hose so it splashes into the pool. A garden sprinkler probably restricts the flow too much, but anything that really gets the surface churning good will do it.

You can use the Pool Math calculator at the top of the page to find out. You enter your data, and it will tell you how much acid to add for a given pH decrease. You have to know a few fact.. Like the obvious, but also your TA (Total Alkalinity). Don't add and amount of Acid that will take your pH lower than 7.2 when you make an addition.

You can pour in as much as needed provided you do it slowly. We don't suggest dilution first, but only because it creates another handling mishap potential. That said, many people do use dilution for adding acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.