Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valley Pool-Pool Store

1. Back To Top    #1

Valley Pool-Pool Store

I've ordered a Taylor k2006, but in mean while had to test water.

Took to local valley pool and wonder do their numbers even tie to what suggested numbers are??

For TA it says recommended 120-180 for CA it says 30-100.

Are their numbers so that we cant actually figure anything out on our own?? anyone else ever experience this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Valley Pool-Pool Store

This is another classic case as to why pool store testing cannot be trusted. And, yes, lots of us have experienced this before we found TFP. Pool store testing is a loss-leader, meaning its purpose is to get you to buy all sorts of needless chemicals and to condition you to rely on them.

Congrats for ordering one of the recommended test kits. It is an investment that will provide many returns by not only saving you $ on chemicals but helping you achieve a sparkling pool as well.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    This is another classic case as to why pool store testing cannot be trusted. And, yes, lots of us have experienced this before we found TFP. Pool store testing is a loss-leader, meaning its purpose is to get you to buy all sorts of needless chemicals and to condition you to rely on them.

Congrats for ordering one of the recommended test kits. It is an investment that will provide many returns by not only saving you $ on chemicals but helping you achieve a sparkling pool as well.
    Thanks. I didnt know if I was crazy as the pool store was leading me to believe

Been lurking for a while here but the last trip/experience gave me the push I needed.
    11,000 gal (21' round) AG
    DE EC40

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey 21, Welcome to TFP

I can't add much to that, so I'll just say enjoy the forums!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

21 welcome to TFP--I was in the Valley Pool store in Greensburg yesterday to pick up some hardware (The only thing I go to a Pool Store for). While waiting to check out, I overheard a gentleman who was bringing in some water for testing. He explained to the gal behind the counter that he was not having any luck clearing up his pool with the supplies (I'll call it junk) he was sold the day before. When I was leaving, he was also walking away from the counter. I suggested to him he come to TFP and check it out. I'm sure you aren't the same person, but one by one TFP is winning people over!
    24' Above Ground Round vinyl
    DE Filter pump 1HP
    Flow Rate 39GPM
    14700 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by rdw1961 View Post
    21 welcome to TFP--I was in the Valley Pool store in Greensburg yesterday to pick up some hardware (The only thing I go to a Pool Store for). While waiting to check out, I overheard a gentleman who was bringing in some water for testing. He explained to the gal behind the counter that he was not having any luck clearing up his pool with the supplies (I'll call it junk) he was sold the day before. When I was leaving, he was also walking away from the counter. I suggested to him he come to TFP and check it out. I'm sure you aren't the same person, but one by one TFP is winning people over!
    That wasnt me, but its nice to meet a fellow paer here! Can I ask where you go for your bleach/LC in PA?

I do have a box of chemicals to return to VP next week unfortunately Do you use any algecide at all? I'm taking back the phos out and enzyme magic bs..
    DE EC40

7. Back To Top    #7

I buy my bleach at Costco/Sam's Club in the 3 pack box. (8.59/box) A couple of years ago, WalMart had their Great Value in a 3 pack as well and it was a great value! If memory serves me, the Great Value 3 pack sold for around 7.39. Haven't seen it there though for since that summer. That doesn't stop me from looking each time I'm in the store though. I only use algecide (polyquat 60) prophylactically in the fall when I am closing the pool.

I have used the method advocated here for 3 years and my water has been the best pool water in the neighborhood, since then. Unfortunately, for 5 years before that my liner took too much abuse from the "this and that" the pool stores sold me to "fix" my problems. That said, I just turned the filter on tonight after a liner replacement this week. I am in the process of getting everything back in order now. I plan to have it perfectly balanced again by tomorrow evening (I hope). I'm well on my way to the finish line already.
    DE Filter pump 1HP
    Flow Rate 39GPM
    14700 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey guys I am a fellow PGHer too.. Ace Hardware has a sale this weekend liquid Chorine $2.50 for a gallon of 10%. I buy my 20 gallons every year at this sale!!!
    IG 16x32 Grecian - Vinyl - Approx 18k gal - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump - Pentair Triton II TR-60 Sand Filter - Hayward ColorLogic Light - Hayward H250FD Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

yep yep yep Ace is good deal. I ordered 18 cases this year.
    Kroger also has a good deal . 121 oz 8.25% 3.29, but if you buy 3 you get a $1 coupon off on next purchase ( if more leach then lowers it to $2.96) and if u have Kroger card for seniors it takes another 10% off so net out at $2.67. Not as good as Ace but good option.
    Gunite/plaster pool w/spa built 1983, 17,000 gal. (depth 3' x 6' x 3') (37' X 16' +spa, stairs & large in-pool bench seat). Arneson (now Hayward) pool vac (rebuilt 3 or 4 times over 30 years), 350k BTU (nat gas) XE heater (in need of a serious herbal cleansing lol), 2HP Marathon pump & filter basket, DE filter NSS-48, air pump for spa bubbles, one skimmer plus in-line filter Hayward CANISTER W560 to the pool vac. Re-plastered May 2013 reinforced quartz (Marbletite) Diamond Bright. Test kit: Taylor K-2006; Bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by chclark View Post
    Hey guys I am a fellow PGHer too.. Ace Hardware has a sale this weekend liquid Chorine $2.50 for a gallon of 10%. I buy my 20 gallons every year at this sale!!!
    Nice! This site is paying off already. Stopped on way home and grabbed 8 gallons.
    DE EC40

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey 21, I'm right off 43. I hit up Ollies in Belle Vernon and Uniontown. Got 30 gallons of 12% for $2.99.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Hey 21, I'm right off 43. I hit up Ollies in Belle Vernon and Uniontown. Got 30 gallons of 12% for $2.99.
    Nice. Is that sale price or regular?
    Im new to this, will i go through 30 gallons in a season?
    DE EC40

13. Back To Top    #13

Went to my local Ace this morning but they were sold out. However, they ordered it for me at the sale price,it will be in early next week.
    DE Filter pump 1HP
    Flow Rate 39GPM
    14700 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Way to go!!.... GOT BLEACH!
    Gunite/plaster pool w/spa built 1983, 17,000 gal. (depth 3' x 6' x 3') (37' X 16' +spa, stairs & large in-pool bench seat). Arneson (now Hayward) pool vac (rebuilt 3 or 4 times over 30 years), 350k BTU (nat gas) XE heater (in need of a serious herbal cleansing lol), 2HP Marathon pump & filter basket, DE filter NSS-48, air pump for spa bubbles, one skimmer plus in-line filter Hayward CANISTER W560 to the pool vac. Re-plastered May 2013 reinforced quartz (Marbletite) Diamond Bright. Test kit: Taylor K-2006; Bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by 21 footer View Post
    Nice. Is that sale price or regular?
    Im new to this, will i go through 30 gallons in a season?
    How much you need depends on lots of factors. Like amount of sun light, organic stuff in pool or not, people usage, size of pool etc. As summer gets hot you will use more. Measure and ck with good test kit as recommended here at TFP. you might have some times when 1gal will last for 3 or 4 days a little at a time and other days when its a full gal day. enjoy...

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by rdw1961 View Post
    Went to my local Ace this morning but they were sold out. However, they ordered it for me at the sale price,it will be in early next week.
    whats regular price do you know? I only picked up 18 and need more already as im slamming.
    DE EC40

17. Back To Top    #17

Regular Ace price is $5.99 / gal sale price $2.50 ...