Replacing heater

Ms506s

Mar 8, 2015
Naples fl
Hey everyone. I'm replacing my Hayward 11kw cspaxI11 spa heater Thursday.
7cdacc97d4693ad1895bf1c5c5602044.jpg
and the original one was hooked up backwards. Going into filter and into the outlet of the heater with the return to pool going through the inlet of the heater. Heater is shot so I ordered the exact same one. As far as plumbing goes my friend who is an electrician said to get some unions, couplers and PVC piping. When I measured it with a tape measure the diameter looks to be just under 3". I know I need PVC cement and prime but no idea about the PVC what to gets. Can I get this all at home depot? Anyone here visually good enough to give me a rough draft of what I would need as far as reversing the plumbing going Into the heater? Any help would be awesome.
931c787891a7299fa741b52ecf50937d.jpg

Check this out for pipe sizing: http://www.harvel.com/piping-systems/harvel-pvc-pipe/schedule-40-80/dimensions Based on your "just under 3 inch" description for the OD, the pipe is likely 2.5" sized (inner diameter) PVC.

You'll NEED schedule 40 PVC for the white areas. Specifically schedule 40. You could also use schedule 80, but that's overkill. Schedule 40 is pressure rated to withstand internal pressures (varies based on diameter). All fittings including elbows, unions, etc. need to be schedule 40. They will be marked with SCH 40 somewhere on the piece.

Those darker grey threaded unions on the heater look to be CPVC, which is a special PVC that's rated for higher temperature/fire resistance.

It should all be available, or can be ordered special at a hardware store of your choice.

Draw/sketch out a plan for your piping to determine what you need based on what was there, and reversing the direction.

You'll also need thread dope/sealer for the threaded fittings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.