Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Walmart warning....

1. Back To Top    #1

Walmart warning....

Our local Food Lion has 8.25% bleach for $2.47/"gal." Walmart "dropped" their prices in an apparent match, yet upon closer inspection, they had substituted a 6% bleach.

Upon checking, we discovered Walmart does not price match with their own in-house brand. IOW, they will price match with another store for a name brand (i.e., Chlorox), but not their in-house "Great Value" brand vs. whatever the other store carries. This holds true for their "Savings Catcher" app, too.

Just me, but I'm calling, "Bogus!"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Walmart warning....

Thanks! I was headed out tomorrow for bleach. Food Lion it is...
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Ewkearns....I noticed the 6% great value bleach said "cleaning" on it. Never seen that kind before and it was the same price as the 8.25....who knew?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the heads up! BOGUS for sure!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, I must have missed the sale at Food Lion. The shelf was wiped out, but they were now priced at $2.99. As an aside, the Food Lion close to me is a very nice store, but where are the customers? The only register they had open was the customer service desk and you could fire a cannon through the place without hitting anyone. I wonder if Publix moving into the area is hurting them?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know about your area but anything NEW around here is a hit for about 3 months then things seem to level out.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

No, this is more than three months. Publix has been in the Columbia area for years, but opened new stores out west by me within the last couple of years. It takes a while, but Publix dives other "normal" competitors out of markets. They will never compete with the Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Aldi or even WalMart's of the world but the regular grocery stores start a decline when they move into a market. Winn Dixie and Albertsons all over Florida have just gone away. Now that they are in North Carolina competing with Harris Teeter it is going to be a battle.

8. Back To Top    #8

I love Publix.....The Food Lion brand called Home 360 is always $2.49 here in Savannah
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Defgufman View Post
    Food Lion brand called Home 360 is always $2.49 here in Savannah
    Sigh, not here $2.99

I was hoping Sam's Club would have 3 packs of Great Valu, but they only stock Clorox at 3 for $9.45

10. Back To Top    #10

How about Publix?

11. Back To Top    #11

Have you checked the big box home improvement stores for 12.5% LC at all?? Sometimes this time of year hey have sales. Just have to make sure it is fresh. Probably not as big of an issue there as in the Midwest. May cost a bit more but use less.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by bdex View Post
    Have you checked the big box home improvement stores for 12.5% LC at all?? Sometimes this time of year hey have sales. Just have to make sure it is fresh. Probably not as big of an issue there as in the Midwest. May cost a bit more but use less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just because of unknown handling and storage issues with the big box guys and higher % chloriniating liquid I shy away from them. I know the bleach at WalMart is fresh and true to the %

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Just because of unknown handling and storage issues with the big box guys and higher % chloriniating liquid I shy away from them. I know the bleach at WalMart is fresh and true to the %
    I always check the dates, even on the Clorox ones at Sam's club. I do not use that much bleach/LC though. Just use until I get warm enough to effectively use my SWG and as a slight supplement if it gets really hot and sunny as the PB undersized my cell.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

14. Back To Top    #14

No joy, here at the NMB Ollies, but apparently Ollies has deals at times, as well....

- - - Updated - - -

No joy, here at the NMB Ollies, but apparently Ollies has deals at times, as well....

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    How about Publix?
    $3.29 I like to support the companies I hod stock in, but not at that price.

16. Back To Top    #16

Food Lion Pulled out of The Dallas/Fort Worth area so I will have to stay with Wal-Mart
    We still have the 8% at least

Has anyone tried this one? at under $3.00 it may be a good deal up & up™ Concentrated Bleach - 121 oz : Target
    21' NEW YORKER II 54" DEEP AGP Private Label MORADA RTR WILBAR Aluminum wall
    Hard Bottom and 1/4" Floor Pad 1/8" Wall Foam Well Water Perma 2500 Unibead liner King Technology Pool Chlorine Feeder HAYWARD Diver Dave cleaner
    Waterway 22″ Sand Filter 1.5 HP Center Discharge Pump Single speed Wide Mouth skimmer

17. Back To Top    #17

I mostly use Target's Up and Up concentrated bleach. It's $2.94 and with a Target Red Card you get a 5% discount so that's $2.79 after discount.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

18. Back To Top    #18

man, I feel bad for all you non-Florida guys

10% 2.5 gallon jug refills cost about $4 when not on sale. I don't use much with the SWCG, but man. buying by the gallon at $3 must suck
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

19. Back To Top    #19

Mine is 11% for $1.91 a gal. after tax! I am SO thankful!

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

Picked up 8.25% HDX brand 3.78 gal at home depot for 2.99 per.