Need specifications on pool filter sand.

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
Hi all, just bought a Pentair TA60 Clearpro sand filter and would like to know what specifications I am looking for on pool filter sand... I have combed the manual, I have done a lot of research, not finding anything real definitive. Not interested in the zeolite sand. There's quickcreate, HTH, others, what spec should I look for on the label to get quality sand for my filter?

Thanks

Anything labeled as pool filter sand should work. Technically you want #20 grade silica sand.

Thanks, that's what I needed, I remember seeing the #20 before in other posts, but was not sure if it was 20# as if someone was talking about the 20 lb bag they got.

What brand would have that spec?... don't want to run to HD or lowes and end up going somewhere else.

For what it is worth to anyone...This is what i have found. Review the following link to understand what #20 is...

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1417

When Quikrete says their sand is Sieve size 20-40... http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/DATA_SHEET-Sand-PoolFilter.pdf
that means that their sand has been sifted anywhere between 40 and 20... #40 is smaller particles than #20.

So if it is bad to have the smaller #40 sand particles then you would not want quikrete. If it is ok to have that smaller size, then go nuts...

For what it is worth to anyone...This is what i have found. Review the following link to understand what #20 is...

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1417

When Quikrete says their sand is Sieve size 20-40... http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/DATA_SHEET-Sand-PoolFilter.pdf
that means that their sand has been sifted anywhere between 40 and 20... #40 is smaller particles than #20.

So if it is bad to have the smaller #40 sand particles then you would not want quikrete. If it is ok to have that smaller size, then go nuts...

Any thoughts here, I actually created a question for myself with that research...If I use a mix like quikcret that has from #20 down to the smaller #40 sand, is that too small? is the Spec only #20 and no smaller?

Any thoughts here, I actually created a question for myself with that research...If I use a mix like quikcret that has from #20 down to the smaller #40 sand, is that too small? is the Spec only #20 and no smaller?
Yes, the laterals inside the filter will stop #20 sand but anything smaller will slip past and end up in the pool. Look at the sixth picture in this thread.

good point, what about the clearpro from Pentair style laterals that are supposed to filter finer particals... will they just clog with #40?
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-15008...d=1432145393&sr=8-1&keywords=clearpro+lateral

expensive little sucker, but that is what i have.

here is what i am thinking... if i get this sand, wit these laterals, it will filter better. my logic is the finner grains (#40) will catch the smaller stuff but not go into the pool because these laterals have smaller openings. is my logic in error?

here is what i am thinking... if i get this sand, wit these laterals, it will filter better. my logic is the finner grains (#40) will catch the smaller stuff but not go into the pool because these laterals have smaller openings. is my logic in error?
I don't know.

I'd be afraid the finer sand would pack too tightly and restrict water flow.

And if it does turn out to be too fine, it will all end up in your pool.

I nominate you to experiment and find out and add to the general store of knowledge here.

As it is, a sand filter with #20 sand will filter out stuff too fine to see with the naked eye. As long as you maintain the water chemistry, a sand filter is more than sufficient. If you want it super filtered, add a little DE to the filter. It forms a fine layer on top. Like setting window screen on top of a barbeque grill.

Yeah... I hear you about it packing tightly. I opened the box tonight and the Spec says:

0.018-0.022in or .44-.55mm #20 Standard Silica Sand having a uniformity coefficient of 1.75 or less.

Maybe I don't need to test it, here is a review i found about the HTH brand at Ace (review says generic aqua quartz for some reason)... NOTE #1153 is the quikcrete stuff...

Comments about GENERAC Aqua Quartz® 50lbs Pool Filter Sand (61308):
Tried another brand "Pool Filter Sand" (#1153) when I got the filter last year. It was terrible. There was no consistancy to the size and much of it was too fine. Caused too much back pressure even after cleaning. Limped through the last summer & dumped it out at season end. Put this sand in after a complete tear down & cleaning of the system (it was obvious the grading was consistant & the proper size). It was amazing how much better the system performed. Back pressure where it should be, cleaning cycle fast, able to use the vacuum with it (couldn't use with the other sand). Over all, exactly what it was supposed to be. Great product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I loaded it with HTH sand... i really hope it is good sand, i thought it was until my wife brought it home. I had a bag of leslie's from a long time ago for my aquarium, so i used both. I noticed that the HTH was not uniform in size at all, big and small grains. The leslie's was much finer and uniform in size. If I have problems with it I will come back here and post results, if it is awesome I will post that too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.