Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need specifications on pool filter sand.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need specifications on pool filter sand.

Hi all, just bought a Pentair TA60 Clearpro sand filter and would like to know what specifications I am looking for on pool filter sand... I have combed the manual, I have done a lot of research, not finding anything real definitive. Not interested in the zeolite sand. There's quickcreate, HTH, others, what spec should I look for on the label to get quality sand for my filter?

Thanks
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need specifications on pool filter sand.

Anything labeled as pool filter sand should work. Technically you want #20 grade silica sand.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Anything labeled as pool filter sand should work. Technically you want #20 grade silica sand.
    Thanks, that's what I needed, I remember seeing the #20 before in other posts, but was not sure if it was 20# as if someone was talking about the 20 lb bag they got.

What brand would have that spec?... don't want to run to HD or lowes and end up going somewhere else.
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

4. Back To Top    #4

For what it is worth to anyone...This is what i have found. Review the following link to understand what #20 is...

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1417

When Quikrete says their sand is Sieve size 20-40... http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/DATA_SH...PoolFilter.pdf
    that means that their sand has been sifted anywhere between 40 and 20... #40 is smaller particles than #20.

So if it is bad to have the smaller #40 sand particles then you would not want quikrete. If it is ok to have that smaller size, then go nuts...

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
    For what it is worth to anyone...This is what i have found. Review the following link to understand what #20 is...

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1417

When Quikrete says their sand is Sieve size 20-40... http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/DATA_SH...PoolFilter.pdf
    that means that their sand has been sifted anywhere between 40 and 20... #40 is smaller particles than #20.

So if it is bad to have the smaller #40 sand particles then you would not want quikrete. If it is ok to have that smaller size, then go nuts...
    Any thoughts here, I actually created a question for myself with that research...If I use a mix like quikcret that has from #20 down to the smaller #40 sand, is that too small? is the Spec only #20 and no smaller?

6. Back To Top    #6

Any thoughts here, I actually created a question for myself with that research...If I use a mix like quikcret that has from #20 down to the smaller #40 sand, is that too small? is the Spec only #20 and no smaller?
    Yes, the laterals inside the filter will stop #20 sand but anything smaller will slip past and end up in the pool. Look at the sixth picture in this thread.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Yes, the laterals inside the filter will stop #20 sand but anything smaller will slip past and end up in the pool. Look at the sixth picture in this thread.
    good point, what about the clearpro from Pentair style laterals that are supposed to filter finer particals... will they just clog with #40?
    http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-150088...earpro+lateral

expensive little sucker, but that is what i have.

8. Back To Top    #8

good point, what about the clearpro from Pentair style laterals that are supposed to filter finer particals... will they just clog with #40?
    http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-150088...earpro+lateral

expensive little sucker, but that is what i have.
    here is what i am thinking... if i get this sand, wit these laterals, it will filter better. my logic is the finner grains (#40) will catch the smaller stuff but not go into the pool because these laterals have smaller openings. is my logic in error?

9. Back To Top    #9

here is what i am thinking... if i get this sand, wit these laterals, it will filter better. my logic is the finner grains (#40) will catch the smaller stuff but not go into the pool because these laterals have smaller openings. is my logic in error?
    I don't know.

I'd be afraid the finer sand would pack too tightly and restrict water flow.

And if it does turn out to be too fine, it will all end up in your pool.

I nominate you to experiment and find out and add to the general store of knowledge here.

As it is, a sand filter with #20 sand will filter out stuff too fine to see with the naked eye. As long as you maintain the water chemistry, a sand filter is more than sufficient. If you want it super filtered, add a little DE to the filter. It forms a fine layer on top. Like setting window screen on top of a barbeque grill.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah... I hear you about it packing tightly. I opened the box tonight and the Spec says:

0.018-0.022in or .44-.55mm #20 Standard Silica Sand having a uniformity coefficient of 1.75 or less.

Maybe I don't need to test it, here is a review i found about the HTH brand at Ace (review says generic aqua quartz for some reason)... NOTE #1153 is the quikcrete stuff...

Comments about GENERAC Aqua Quartz® 50lbs Pool Filter Sand (61308):
    Tried another brand "Pool Filter Sand" (#1153) when I got the filter last year. It was terrible. There was no consistancy to the size and much of it was too fine. Caused too much back pressure even after cleaning. Limped through the last summer & dumped it out at season end. Put this sand in after a complete tear down & cleaning of the system (it was obvious the grading was consistant & the proper size). It was amazing how much better the system performed. Back pressure where it should be, cleaning cycle fast, able to use the vacuum with it (couldn't use with the other sand). Over all, exactly what it was supposed to be. Great product.

11. Back To Top    #11

I loaded it with HTH sand... i really hope it is good sand, i thought it was until my wife brought it home. I had a bag of leslie's from a long time ago for my aquarium, so i used both. I noticed that the HTH was not uniform in size at all, big and small grains. The leslie's was much finer and uniform in size. If I have problems with it I will come back here and post results, if it is awesome I will post that too.