Vacuum for sand filter?

jephph

Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys. I've got one of those Intex Ultra Frame Pools (Walmart). I also got the 2650 Intex sand filter because the cartridge filter was junk. I've tried a couple of different vacuum methods. The garden hose attachment vacuum sucks (not in a good way). I got this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QIXOY0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
kit, which comes with a small hose (1.25" I think). The problem is, that even when I just thread that little adapter:
61hVcSc2F4L._SL1500_.jpg

onto the intake, the pressure in my on my filter drops to nothing. I think that adapter creates too small of an intake. Is there a full sized hose that I can get that threads onto my intake? I've seen some 1.5" hoses, but they have straight, smooth ends, not threaded.

The pressure will drop no matter what. I lose at least 5 psi when I vacuum, because the hose is smaller than the rest of the plumbing and it's a lot longer run on the suction side.

The big question is: did it vacuum up what you wanted it to vacuum up? If it did, just use it. Once things go back to normal, the pressure should too. It might go higher, because there's stuff you vacuumed up clogging the filter.

Oh - one last thing... did you fill the hose with water before connecting it? Hooking an empty hpse to the pump inlet will cause it to lose prime and pressure will go to nothing. So will flow. I just set my vacuum in the pool and feed the hose straight down so any air io it escapes out the top. When it's full, I connect it.

The pressure will drop no matter what. I lose at least 5 psi when I vacuum, because the hose is smaller than the rest of the plumbing and it's a lot longer run on the suction side.

The big question is: did it vacuum up what you wanted it to vacuum up? If it did, just use it. Once things go back to normal, the pressure should too. It might go higher, because there's stuff you vacuumed up clogging the filter.

Oh - one last thing... did you fill the hose with water before connecting it? Hooking an empty hpse to the pump inlet will cause it to lose prime and pressure will go to nothing. So will flow. I just set my vacuum in the pool and feed the hose straight down so any air io it escapes out the top. When it's full, I connect it.

That's the thing. Even just putting the adapter on makes the pressure drop to pretty much 0.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.