Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin M500 or DX6 for eating leaves but also fine silt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin M500 or DX6 for eating leaves but also fine silt?

Deep into research on new pool robot. Dolphin looks good. Agree with whomever said buying from them and tracking different models is like buying a new mattress. Anyway I live in Seattle and have a problem with leaves on the bottom of the pool in the spring and in the fall. I see that the M500 or M400 would be considered the top of the line Dolphins, but both use cartridges and I worry that they will become clogged with leaves quickly due to not enough reservoir space. The DX6 looks to be a little older, but uses filter bags rather than cartridges, which I presume will allow it to pick up more leaves. Ultimately I'd like to have it all - from fine dust to leaves - in one machine.... if that is possible. Does anyone have experience with and recommendation for this particular issue? Thanks kindly! Sam

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Dolphin M500 or DX6 for eating leaves but also fine silt?

If you have "lots" of leaves the cartridges do fill quickly. My skimmer or my net gets most of my leaves so it is manageable. The M series have two different filters that attach to the cartridges and can clean up the finest dust. I can't comment on ht eDX6 as I have not used/seen that unit.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon