Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extension cord use with an outdoor above ground pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

extension cord use with an outdoor above ground pool pump

We recently purchased a 15 ft x 48 " intex pool. It says not to use an extension cord with the pump. But the pump cord is short about 15 ft from where our outdoor outlet is. Is there an extension cord that would be safe to use with this and does anyone know what type. The pump is 15amp. I am confused and don't know what to do. We have already put the pool up and realized the pump cord doesn't reach to the outlet. Help anyone please
    shkell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: extension cord use with an outdoor above ground pool pump

Welcome to TFP!!!

You can not use an extension cord ... it is not safe.

You either need to run conduit and install a new GFCI protected outlet near the pump or move the pump over to the existing outlet and extend the plumbing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! As Jason said you cannot use a extension cord at all. Pump need to plug directly into a GFCI outlet.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

How would I extend the plumbing if I am not able to move the pump closer to the outlet or if I am not able to get a new outlet installed anytime soon?
    shkell

5. Back To Top    #5

One option is to use adapters to convert to normal PVC pipe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, mine has been plugged into an extension cord for like... 8+ years. When I first started I didn't know that wasn't how it's done and... Well I have never changed it. I never thought of extending the plumbing but fore that wouldn't be doable as the outlet is all the way down my side yard. So I guess I'd be more inclined to call an electrician (someday). If you do... Post back here. I have no idea how much it would cost!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

Just because you have done it for 8 years does not make it safe ... certainly against code.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

We used a heavy duty GFI outdoor rated extension cord for a little while with an Intex poo, but I was pretty nervous about it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Your temporary work around is to not allow anyone to swim while the pump is running or plugged in. Plug your pump in at night on a gfi rated extension cord and unplug the pump in the morning.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree with zea. When I moved in my house this is how the previous homeowners had it (with an extension cord) after finding out how dangerous it can be, I installed conduit and a GFCI rated outlet closer. But if you do this your local codes may require it to be a certain distance from the pool also. So you may need to move the pump back anyway. But definitely do one of the above recommended. I've heard many horror stories of people getting electrocuted and even dieing by not having a properly grounded pool. Yikes!!
    21'x52 AGP 11200 Gal
    TFPC Method

11. Back To Top    #11

What about wiring a longer cord directly to the pump? that would be easier than installing a new plug. I guess the prob with an extersion cord is the plugs could be laying in water on the ground?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

I really need to call someone and find out how much it would cost to get an outlet put out there somewhere.

Actually I was planning on doing it this year. Probably should before something happens. I know it's not safe.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1017 View Post
    What about wiring a longer cord directly to the pump? that would be easier than installing a new plug. I guess the prob with an extersion cord is the plugs could be laying in water on the ground?
    UL listings are based on how the product left the factory. Changing out the cord set voids the UL listing of the product. It may work, but I'm not willing to test it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1017 View Post
    How would I go about extending the plumbing which seems to be the better way to go for me. Any ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

How do I extend the plumbing? What would I need to purchase.. This is becoming a pain. We just wanted a pool and didn't realize the pump wasn't going to fit the outlet outside. Our yard slopes in front and back so where we have it is the only level place for it. Maybe I should just forget it and sell it. Any ideas or suggestions. please help. Thanks
    shkell

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

There is a search box on the right side of the page. Use that to search for expanding plumbing or haw to hard plumb above ground pool
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

16. Back To Top    #16

Anyone remember that your not supposed to run the pump on the intex pools anyways while swimming? You can purchased outdoor rated extension cords that are used by construction trades, but I would suggest having an underground conduit install instead. Probably cost you couple hundred, unless you have a friend whom is a licensed electrician to do it for you.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by sheilask62 View Post
    How would I go about extending the plumbing which seems to be the better way to go for me. Any ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

How do I extend the plumbing? What would I need to purchase.. This is becoming a pain. We just wanted a pool and didn't realize the pump wasn't going to fit the outlet outside. Our yard slopes in front and back so where we have it is the only level place for it. Maybe I should just forget it and sell it. Any ideas or suggestions. please help. Thanks
    You can go to your local hardware store and get longer hoses.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I am going to muddy up this discussion but, hopefully clear up something too. The NEC does not have much in the way of codes for storable pools and in some instances goes out of its way to avoid the discussion on them. However, it does speak to this very topic in article 680.7 (A).

680.7 Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment. Fixed or stationary equipment other than an underwater luminaire for permanently installed pools, storable pools, outdoor spas, outdoor hot tubs, or fountains can be cord-and-plug-connected to facilitate removal or disconnection for maintenance or repair.
    (A) Length. Except for storable pools, the cord must not exceed 3 ft.

The NEC does not specify a maximum length for storable pools. It does not allow for extension cords to be used but a properly fitted longer cord of the proper outdoor rated material can be fitted. Again the water gets a little murky if the pump is UL listed with the cord it came with and it is replaced with a longer one.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Beens View Post
    I really need to call someone and find out how much it would cost to get an outlet put out there somewhere.

Actually I was planning on doing it this year. Probably should before something happens. I know it's not safe.
    Hi beens. If you have a family member or a friend who is an electrician, you can do this on your own. My brother and I did mine here at the house for under $100 and wired it right to the breaker box. My pump doesn't have an on/off switch so I just flip it at the box in the garage. It's wired to a gfci at the pool. I did all the digging for the trench and ran the wires up the wall and through the rafters to the box for him n he tied it in. The worst part for me was digging the 3ft trench 3ft deep through hard clay n gravel. It kicked my butt. lol
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

I run my Intex pool with a 100' extension cord. Am I worried? No. I only run the pump at night. I don't think that it is a real safety issue anyway. I am using a GFI outlet.
    If you want to abide by the rule book then the pump should never be run when people are in the pool anyway. Also no jumping into the pool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast